rcross

245/70R19.5 12ply verus 16ply

looking for new tires for my 32 foot National Seabreeze, have 245/70R 19.5 Michelin XRV 12Ply, which they discontinued, and now offer 245/70R 19.5 XZE which is 16 ply. My question is will the 16 ply be a much rougher ride the the 12 ply?

Thanks in advance

Rc

Edited by rcross

I have no data but the higher Load Range   F > H  will probably not impact ride in a meaningful way.

An advantage of the LR-H is the ability to run higher inflation to give you a higher Reserve Load (excess capacity)  I would suggest a nice 15% based on the Load Inflation tables is possible.   You do know what your actual tire loads are don't you?

If I was buying new tires, I'd sure check around on various forums prior to buying Michelins.  There are many posts about problems with them on motor homes.

The benefit states that you may find a lower cost from a different supplier in your area. I bought Firestones for more than $100/tire lower than the benefit, but that is where I live. Bridgestone owns Firestone. Top of the line Bridgestone design are used on Firestone one or two years later. My first motor home had Firestone tires, so I was comfortable in using them. They have been running for about 9,000 miles without any problems. Go to the Advantage dealer and ask if there is a different manufacturer that has tires that are suitable replacements. 

3 hours ago, rcross said:

i know the range that is on the side of my tires, and have had my coach weight on each corner, is there more to it then that?

Do you have a Load & Inflation table for Michelin tires of that size?

Using your "4 corner weights" find heaviest tire on an axle. Then find the minimum inflation needed to support 115% to 125% of the heaviest end (depending on how much margin you feel you need). Then you know the inflation to set your tires too

I recently bought the XZE tires and they put 110lbs in each tire. I feel this in to much pressure since the Goodyear 270s which it came with was only 80 lbs. Does anyone know the correct inflation for a 2015 Itasca Sunstar 30T? I am currently running 90 lbs. 

2 hours ago, Rannan said:

I recently bought the XZE tires and they put 110lbs in each tire. I feel this in to much pressure since the Goodyear 270s which it came with was only 80 lbs. Does anyone know the correct inflation for a 2015 Itasca Sunstar 30T? I am currently running 90 lbs. 

Your new tires should have come with a TP chart....so much TP based on the weight the tire is carrying.  I take the weight on the chart, it always falls between to weights, use the larger value and add %10.

Refer to the tire pressure placard on the inside of the drivers side door. if you don't have a drivers door, it will be on the wall under the drivers side window. This placard will detail the correct tire pressures for the front and rear axel assuming you have the correct size tires on your MH which I believe are 245/70R 19.5G . It will be sufficient for the max axle loads your coach is capable of and is still probably more than you actually need. 110 lbs is definitely too much. 

15 hours ago, Rannan said:

Welcome to the forum. You might read the post just before yours.

Bill

22 hours ago, Rannan said:

OK lets step back a bit. I can give you the answer you need but I do need some information from you.

1. What size are the new XZE tires?

2. What is the Load Range letter?  (E,F, G  etc)

3. Do you have scale weights for each tire position? If not do you have scale readings for each axle?  These readings need to be with the RV loaded as heavy as you ever expect to be. This means full of water , fuel, propane, food, tools and clothes and people. We are looking for the heaviest you expect to be. These weights can be with the previous tires or with the new tires

4. Iambullok mentioned the certification sticker. That has some important information

A. GAWR fir F and R axle

B. tire size including Load Range letter (e, F, G H etc)

5 To be sure you get my answer you can drop me a line at tireman9@gmail.com as there is sometimes a delay of a day or so after a post is made before I get a notice.