Polmex

recomendations

Im considering buying a jeep wrangler to flat tow behind my 2005 alfa .any recommendations on. Models to get or stay away from? Also,what do I need to get for towing. My alfa already has a hitch.

Screenshot_20220107-154251_Chrome.jpg

Tow Bar, Base Plates, wiring kit for taillights and a Supplemental Brake system. Also the Jeep needs to be Four Wheel drive.

Herman

Edited by hermanmullins

Thanks. Im looking for 4wd automatic. Rv has hitch and tow bar already. Dont know if tow bar is ok to use for jeep when I get it. I will have to check into it. 

When looking at your picture, it looks like you have a tow dolly, not a tow bar. A tow dolly supports the two front wheels of your towed auto. A tow bar uses adapters attached to the frame of the towed auto with an attached bar(s) to the RV. The bar may be semi-permanently attached to the RV or to the towed auto. 

On 1/10/2022 at 5:38 PM, rossboyer said:

When looking at your picture, it looks like you have a tow dolly, not a tow bar.

Actually if you look carefully he does have a dolly and a tow bar. The tow bar is covered. 

Polmex, What make is the tow bar? 

Bill

On 1/10/2022 at 7:34 PM, elkhartjim said:

4-wheel drive Jeeps cannot be towed on a tow dolly. Either all 4 wheels must be down or on a trailer.

Yes that's true with a lot of the "all wheel drive" /4 wheel drive cars. My CR-V is the same way.

Bill 

That photo looks like it was taken in the storage yard we just left, after over 30 years with them! We weren't happy with the rent going from $150 per month to $350 per month, and an added $100 per year for "administrative" fees...

The first step is to read the owners manual of the actual Jeep you plan to tow, it will have a section named "recreational towing": that is the only completely accurate information. The brand of tow-bar is immaterial, what is important is the maximum towing weight rating.