rcross

washer and dryer

3 hours ago, rcross said:

is having a washer/dryer in your coach something par timers really need or use.

No but it shure is nice. What are  you looking at?

Bill

Need may not be the correct term I would use. Convenience better describes it. Most of us sit around in the morning having coffee, etc., then as the morning goes on we meander the tour circuit or go do something exciting.  Having the W/D running while having the coffee frees up that hour or more in a laundromat not including the time to traveling to and from.  Yes, CG's have laundromats also but many times it is full, broken, or to small. 

Personally, we go for the W/D and stackable is better than the combo.  With a stackable you can wash a second load while drying the first. with the combo it is one wash and dry before another load can be done. The combo needs small loads and the drying time is long. Mostly because it is 110v instead of 220v

We are on Splendide number three....two combos and one stackable.  Our first was in the "nice to have'' category.  After about a month that category changed to "we'll never have another RV without one."

We are only out 1-2 weeks and our now 16 year old grandson lives with us, and lot of the times we will have one or two of his siblings. When we bought our 2016 Bounder, coming from a C, we were doing the tour. Wife blessed the counter space, bath and shower. In the bedroom she was happy with the storage. Opening the rear closet door she was shocked when she saw the Splendiee combo. "I always wished we had a washer!"  I never knew.

We toss a load or two in in the AM or in the evening. Cuts down on the clothes we pack and use it like a hamper if we don't have hookups. Also been know to run the generator to finish drying. Daughter likes having the kids come home with clean clothes too. Saves having to unload towels to wash and reload.

Two things were mandatory when we upgraded from our 10' pop-up to our 38' gasser: a bath and a half and a washer/dryer. Our Splendide 2100XC combo can wash and dry everything we have except for our large comforter.

We snowbird so we can be gone for 3 to 5 months. Last winter we were gone for four months and three weeks and we never used a laundromat once. No hauling clothes, no scrounging for quarters, no waiting for people to come back to move their clothes from the washer to the dryer, no wondering who washed what in the washer right before us, etc.

But in the winter in Florida the campgrounds charge for electricity and we're currently paying 14 cents per KWH. There's no doubt the washer/dryer runs the electric bill up so I rationalize that not spending about $10 a week in laundromat fees is offset by the increase in the electric bill. :) 

As others noted, we pack far less clothes and we do small loads more often than at home. A home washer usually is half the size of the home dryer. Our home washer is 3.5 cubic feet and the home dryer is 7.1 cubic feet to give the clothes room to tumble. With the 2.1 cubic foot combo you need to assure you fill it no more than halfway and that's halfway tossed in, not packed down. Doing that our dry times are 60 to 80 minutes.

But if you're primarily a weekender part-timer you probably do not need one.

4 minutes ago, raypesek said:

But if you're primarily a weekender part-timer you probably do not need one.

I agree but "need" is a very subjective thing. :P

Bill

16 minutes ago, wildebill308 said:

I agree but "need" is a very subjective thing. :P

Bill

You're not married, are you? :)

Ray