tcisodar

Gas or Diesel

I know this has been a topic previously but trying to get fresh input. We are considering buying new class a. The main issue is to buy gas or diesel?  
I have seen articles of you don’t use diesel a lot you have problems.  We are not full timers but want to take trip(s) out west occasionally.  Any comments?

Our diesel sits all summer in Massachusetts at our house there. No issues. . . . You're gonna get a lot of opinions as to why one is better than the other and my gasser rides just as nice. Only thing I can suggest is go to a dealer and take both for a test drive. 

Every gasser I gave had rides like a truck. Can't hear the person next to you talk. I will NEVER purchase another gas rig.

Edited by sstgermain

We don't have much information on which to base data we would provide.  We've had six RVs....two pulled by gas pick ups, a fifth wheel pulled by a diesel dually, a Class C gasser, and two Class A diesel pushers.  The only reason I would not get another DP, is when I get so old I would want to downsize.  What is your RVing experience, what RVs have you had in the past, what size are you looking to get?

Edited by five

These are always interesting threads as most advocate for what they have. 

First question, what is wrong with the RV that you have? 

Are you still in St Petersburg Fl.? I would have been up to the RV supper show in Tampa to look at all the new toys.

You said "I have seen articles of you don’t use diesel a lot you have problems." Well this can be true with the fuel blended with Biodiesel. It will degrade faster than strait diesel #2. But the same thing can happen with gas coaches with the alcohol blend. Both can be controlled with the proper additives.  With gas or diesel you should run the generator under load for 2 hours each month. So no real disadvantage either way. I wouldn't start either type of coach unless you can drive it for about 50 miles or so to get everything warmed up.

Well I think you are looking for justification to move up to a diesel coach.😉

I would look at a hire level used coach. Save some money and have most of the bugs worked out. 

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

4 minutes ago, tcisodar said:

Have Winnebago Sunstar 2016 for 2,years. Never had it in mountain. Has V10

That should have thee 6 speed transmission and should be fine. The only negative I have heard is  some of the older fords tended to down shift to soon. That  can be fixed.

Bill

4 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

These are always interesting threads as most advocate for what they have. 

First question, what is wrong with the RV that you have? 

Are you still in St Petersburg Fl.? I would have been up to the RV supper show in Tampa to look at all the new toys.

You said "I have seen articles of you don’t use diesel a lot you have problems." Well this can be true with the fuel blended with Biodiesel. It will degrade faster than strait diesel #2. But the same thing can happen with gas coaches with the alcohol blend. Both can be controlled with the proper additives.  With gas or diesel you should run the generator under load for 2 hours each month. So no real disadvantage either way. I wouldn't start either type of coach unless you can drive it for about 50 miles or so to get everything warmed up.

Well I think you are looking for justification to move up to a diesel coach.😉

I would look at a hire level used coach. Save some money and have most of the bugs worked out. 

Bill

Bill, thanks for input. The Tampa RV is exactly why we are thinking of upgrading. Lol. Got real close but backed out at last second on buying new.  Everything I have read, heard from others is don’t buy new. Thanks

49 minutes ago, tcisodar said:

Bill, thanks for input. The Tampa RV is exactly why we are thinking of upgrading. Lol. Got real close but backed out at last second on buying new.  Everything I have read, heard from others is don’t buy new. Thanks

Ok, inquiring minds want to know what you were looking at. Did you go buy the NIRVC area? 

Bill

My quick thoughts are:

Diesels have more power, and are quiet to drive since the engine is in the back, but repairs are much more expensive.

Gas units have less power, but are easier and cheaper to maintain.

I prefer gas units (i've had 3), since i do a lot of maintenance myself, and parts are easily obtainable.  

We have friends parked in our driveway with a Pace Arrow gasser, 2009 model.  It's 38 feet (I think it is longer) and his biggest peeve is finding a gas station, towing a car, that he can maneuver in.  Diesel pusshers can use truck stops or other easy access lanes. Others on here will say they have not problem with finding or maneuvering but that is individual opinion, like my friends.

We have a very nice 43' DP. It is in storage from October to June(ish). every 5 to 6 weeks I take it out for about 25 mile ride just to exercise it. Hardly run the generator during storage months and have never had a problem but I do get it serviced when time/hours/just want to, is up.

It comes down to what YOU want. What you will be comfortable with. They all have their good points and bad points.

7 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

We have friends parked in our driveway with a Pace Arrow gasser, 2009 model.  It's 38 feet (I think it is longer) and his biggest peeve is finding a gas station, towing a car, that he can maneuver in.  Diesel pusshers can use truck stops or other easy access lanes. Others on here will say they have not problem with finding or maneuvering but that is individual opinion, like my friends.

We have a very nice 43' DP. It is in storage from October to June(ish). every 5 to 6 weeks I take it out for about 25 mile ride just to exercise it. Hardly run the generator during storage months and have never had a problem but I do get it serviced when time/hours/just want to, is up.

It comes down to what YOU want. What you will be comfortable with. They all have their good points and bad points.

Yup I’ve had several gassers and it us a pain finding a gas station to get into and fill up. Most filling stations are set up for cars and not a 40’ rig with a car behind it.

10 hours ago, aztec7fan said:

My quick thoughts are:

Diesels have more power, and are quiet to drive since the engine is in the back, but repairs are much more expensive.

Gas units have less power, but are easier and cheaper to maintain.

I prefer gas units (i've had 3), since i do a lot of maintenance myself, and parts are easily obtainable.  

I do all my maintenance also myself. All parts are available at NAPA and even Amazon. They have all filters, belts, etc. Oil changes cost a bit more due to the amount of oil required but it is worth it for me. I would also suggest if you get a diesel pusher . . . Find one with a side radiator as they are much easier to service than a rear radiator rig.

Edited by sstgermain

I have been coast to coast different times and not had any problem thus far crossing mountains with a 39 ft.3 slides, V10, 362 HP towing a Jeep.   The underpowered diesels have a problem with the steep grades.    I own a diesel F350 4X4 CC DRW therefore I am familiar with diesels.   I would not consider any diesel motorhome 32 ft or over unless it had more than 350 HP and 6 speed Trans.   

It’s all relevant!

Nobody would build a 36,000 lb (not GVWR)Motorhome on a F53 gas chassis. Beyond the engine fuel type, overall structure, brakes and suspension make up a lot also. But again it’s personal preference and how many headaches, maintenance etc that play a huge role in the decision. 
My old class C with the V10 would have ran circles around our DP and was pennies to maintain vs rolls of hundreds! My MPG’s were less with the gas coach, the ride quality, couldn’t hold a candle to the DP and overall comfort and safety are much better in the DP (ours anyway). 
for the 3 - 5 times a year we run the DP, we should be in a gas coach and as soon as we sell the DP we will switch back. To be honest I’ll be happier with spending less on maintenance and not worrying about very expensive potential problems.  The part I will not like, hitting bumps and cabinets breaking off the walls, interior noise and difference in comfort will take some getting use to.

21 hours ago, charlieiam said:

The underpowered diesels have a problem with the steep grades.

What I  see are drivers who don't know how to drive a big rig. I have more problems with slow traffic and construction. Does anyone know if they are ever going to finish the Raton Pass project?

tcisodar, What coach were you looking at?

Bill

I'm very happy to be driving a large diesel pusher coach over a gas rig l call that spending the children's inheritance!!!   The costs can be spendy for operating and maintaining it but you only live once, l hope someday to buy an older prevost then my costs will be even higher but they look so cool. All that matters is you have fun in whatever rv you can afford. 

At the current price off $60 per gallon for oil, T-6, my ISX600 will run me 2.5x the price of maintenance this year compared to last year.  We can afford it, question is can tcisodar?  Only he can answer that.

Joe, I understand that Liquid Springs does wonders for a gasser ride!  Having said that, aren't you glad you did not get DW's Prevost?

Bill, don't get me started on that...I-10 East Texas!

2 hours ago, manholt said:

At the current price off $60 per gallon for oil, T-6, my ISX600 will run me 2.5x the price of maintenance this year compared to last year.

Who is charging $60.00 a gallon?

Carl, I use to think my 5,9 ISB held lots of oil. 16 quarts now seams minor to my current ISM that holds 40 quarts. Isn't that what yours holds?

I am going to pull a sample and see how it looks before I change mine. Walmart still shows' T6 for $23 but out of stock. I might change and use Mobil Delvac Extreme if I have to. They are showing it in stock for $19.47. 

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill, don't get me started on that...I-10 East Texas!

Yes that is as bad as I-30 was from the state line to Littlerock.

Bill

47 minutes ago, manholt said:

Bill, when you say $19.47, is that out the door??

It would depend on what store you bought from. I don't waste time trying to guess/look up what the sales tax is. You are talking about $60.00 a gallon and I am talking about a equivalent oil at $19.47 and you are worried about the sales tax?

Bill