arlisswallace

2022 GMC Canyon 4WD flat tow

We just purchased this truck, having traded in a 2010 Chevy Colorado that we flat towed similarly...
The most concerning item we have are the directions for setting up for flat towing. If you look at page 298 of the owners manual, the last instruction in number 9 is to  “keep the ignition key in the towed vehicle in ACC/ACCESSORY to prevent the steering column from locking” which makes sense. ...Makes me wonder if this will really happen since you have already disconnected the battery?…
Within the directions to dinghy tow, on page 298, number 4 refers you to page 194 where, when you get to page 196/197 it guides you through the transfer case directions - shifting into neutral - number 8 says to "turn the engine off and the ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY”. Number 9 says to “place the transmission shift lever in Park. See Recreational Vehicle Towing on page 296”. But number 10 says “turn the ignition off”.

I have tried calling several service depts & tried to contact someone at GMC too - no-one seems to KNOW which is correct... 
OUR QUESTION is - which is correct at the end of the directions to tow the pickup behind our motor home. Turn the ignition off on page 197 or keep the ignition key in and turn it on ACC/ACCESSORY on page 298?

Thank you! 

Yes, your 2022 Canyon has a Steering Wheel lock. What they are referring to in turning the ignition of is putting it in the Accessory position. Chevrolet and GMC have gone back and forth on the Steering Wheel lock.

If it were mine, as soon as the warranty runs out I would pull the wheel and remove the locking pin (there is no law saying that you have to have a Steering Wheel lock). Then you would be just like you Colorado.

Enjoy you new truck.

Herman  

I  have a 2021 Canyon that i flat tow with no problem. I also had  a Chevy Colorado 2011  before also. I purchased cut off switch from Roadmasrer for the battery and ran a hot 12 volt  plug for my Patriot brake from battery to stay hot and i leave the key in acc. No problem towing at all.

We had a 2021 Colorado, no issues and over 10000 miles towing. We also had the Roadmaster battery Cut-off switch and used the Air Force One brake system. Your ignition will be off, but key in accessory mode. Also, when you go get to your destination, we found it much easier to shift back out of neutral if engine was off. Not near as hard of engagement back into 2 wheel drive. Switching back to a 5er so just sold to Colorado for same as we paid for it 18 months ago! 

Just watch you first few corners in your mirror to see pickup tires turning directions and back tires rolling. Saw someone trying to leave the park with E-brake still on, got him stopped before he did any real damage.

I tow a Canyon and I think you're getting hung up on Acc position and off, correct?  When you turn the key to the Acc position, it will turn the engine off. 

I suggest making copy a copy of the instructions, laminate and keep in the passenger seat pocket.

We have a 2022 GMC Canyon two weeks old and are plannig to flat tow it. I also got hung up on the language in the manual. So I tested the steering with the key removed from the ignition. The  wheels turn lock to lock without locking the steering wheel. So why bother with leaving the key in the ignition turned to accessory? I called the service dept of the GMC selling dealer and they had no advice. This being the case I plan to tow without the key.

2 hours ago, terrydavid said:

We have a 2022 GMC Canyon two weeks old and are plannig to flat tow it. I also got hung up on the language in the manual. So I tested the steering with the key removed from the ignition. The  wheels turn lock to lock without locking the steering wheel. So why bother with leaving the key in the ignition turned to accessory? I called the service dept of the GMC selling dealer and they had no advice. This being the case I plan to tow without the key.

Keep us updated.

Bill

So I have completed having an RV Specialty shop install the Demco Stay In Play braking system on our 2 022 GMC Canyon to flat tow it. The installer has completed the installation of about 200 of these systems on various make vehicles. He does not understand the towing instructions in the GMC Owners manual as he confirmed there is NO steering lock. He tried to contact GMC for clarification but was not successful. He therefor installed a battery disconnect switch under the hood. He instructed me to leave the ignition key in the accessory position and to disconnect the battery as per GMC directions when flat towing. He did not understand the logic but told me to follow the directions so as not to void the GMC warranty in case of a problem. The Concord flat tows the Canyon with little effort. They did install a 2 inch drop down stinger in the Concord receiver to level the tow bars.