jwseib

2003 Cummins ISC CM554 350 hp Turbo power loss

On a recent trip, my check engine light came on and the turbo power dropped dramatically -- especially on uphill climbs (naturally).

Went to a Cummins shop near my destination for diagnosis.  Was told that the cause was:

"Troubleshoot fault 539 - open circuit detected at the transient suppressor in the injection control valve circuit in the engine harness".  

Estimate to correct the issue included replacing the following:

Harness, ETR CNT MDL WRG

Bracket, Wiring Retainer

Kit, Fuel Distributor

Pump, CAPS Fuel ISC ICV

Was told that the harness would have to be special ordered and would take a substantial amount of time to arrive.  Since I could not wait indefinitely for the part to be ordered, manufactured and delivered, I had no option but to drive my MH back home -- a bit over 1,000 miles.

Total cost estimate for repairs was $6,208.22.

Not being a mechanic, I am wondering if, since the service tech led me to believe that the primary issue was the ETR CNT MDL wRG Harness, do all of the other items listed also commonly go bad at the same time?

Thoughts?

They do not all go bad at the same time. Someone will need to check and test the wiring harness. Given the age of the coach I’d bet one of two things.

Rodent damage to the harness 

Bad fuel injection pump

Perhaps I am being a bit naive but... Is it not logical to expect that all necessary/appropriate checks and tests would have been performed by the Cummins techs in order to arrive at the aforementioned diagnosis -- and the resulting $349.36 diagnostic fee?

That is, after all, why I went to the experts/professionals for assistance.

You can only Assume. Most in today’s world throw darts, they do not take the time to properly diagnose especially for the charge you received. $350.00 was probably a 2 minute visual peek and download fault codes. To properly inspect that wiring harness would take a few hours. 
it also helps if it’s a Cummins distributor or Dealer. One is factory trained and owned, the other is a franchise. 

Edited by jleamont

This may not help but I experienced the same issues as described. The lever on my waste gate valve came off. I got it back on and replaced the clip and my problem was solved. I may not help but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Herman

The diagnosis and estimate I received was from Cummins Sales and Service - Columbia, SC branch.

Thanks for your input!

On 2/6/2022 at 6:43 PM, jwseib said:

and the resulting $349.36 diagnostic fee?

That is cheap. I was talking to Cummins FW a couple weeks ago and they said it would be 4 hours at $200. per hour to run down a problem for a friend. They said it might be more if they felt they needed to put it on the dyno.  

Bill

Yes, when the transient voltage suppressor (huge diode that gets very hot during operation) fails many components are/can be affected. Mine failed July 2020, causing the fuel distributor module on the main pump to fail. The final bill was $5K+ and it took Cummins Great Plains 2 weeks to obtain a new fuel distributor module, when it normally was received overnight.

I was quoted $10K for a rebuilt main pump instead of only replacing the distributor module.

Edited by rayin