PatandTerry

How to keep backend clean

No, the only way to keep it clean is to keep it in a barn under a cover. ;)  I have found no practical method to keep it clean. You should see my toad after some days of travel. Glad most places have car washes.

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

1 hour ago, wildebill308 said:

No, the only way to keep it clean is to keep it in a barn under a cover. ;)  I have found no practical method to keep it clean. You should see my toad after some days of travel. Glad most places have car washes.

Bill

Thanks Bill 

I had a big flap on the back of my last big pusher and it did help hold down some of the rock damage. I didn’t pay any attention to the dirt on the back, I didn’t have a rear window so it wasn’t a problem. I didn’t know if the vortex pulling the dust and road spray on to the back was coming more from the air slipping off the top or rolling up from the bottom? Or an uncontrollable combo of both?

This question is the product of a slow cold day here in Texas, 3 straight nights 14 to 20 degrees trying to keep new coach from freezing without full winterizing.

Terrell

Since WBill is in Ft Worth, TX and I'm in Burnet, TX.  we know what you mean!  

Keeping rig clean in back?  It's like keeping love bugs off front....clean each day after travel.

9 minutes ago, manholt said:

Since WBill is in Ft Worth, TX and I'm in Burnet, TX.  we know what you mean!  

Keeping rig clean in back?  It's like keeping love bugs off front....clean each day after travel.

Since you brought it up. What do you use to clean off greasy love bugs? Haven’t been that area in for about 8 years, but plan to go ASAP. Been spending time around NM & CO trout fishing. I’m ready to go after some red fish & snook plus eat some good BBQ on the way.

Pat & Terry

The best way I have found is Elbow Grease and don't let them stay on the front of you RV.

One thing that helps me is that I put a good wax on the front of my coach. I will from time to time use an instant detail on it, something like Slick Mist or Maguire's .

The front of the coach is the only place I use Soap and Water. I will hose down the front and scrub the front with a very soft bristle brush, rinse and repeat. I can take two or three times. When I have finished and dried the Front end I will  again apply some instant detail. I am sure other folks have ways that they clean LOVE BUGS 😝 off so lets hear from them.

Herman

In the past I used quality dryer sheets.  Wet the area, wipe with dryer sheet and immediately wash and rinse.

Now-a-days i spray it with Awsome or Simple Green, let it sit (water is your friend) the wash it off. Some of the bugs need to be scrubbed a little but do not put much pressure when doing it or you will tear the protective screen, if there is one, or scratch the paint.  If stubbor, repeat the process of soaking them again repeating the process.

For the back, yep it sure does get dirty, I use Wash-Wax-All with microfiber clothes to get any area I can reach. Wipe on, wipe off. For the upper portion of the back I use the Wash-Wax-All extensionrod with there microfiber fitted cloth.

Does anyone remember when SUVs and Vans used to have a air foil on their roof racks at the rear that was suppose to keep the dirt down? I just wonder if some sort of air foil would help an RV. Maybe a retired trucker my know.

Herman

9 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Does anyone remember when SUVs and Vans used to have a air foil on their roof racks at the rear that was suppose to keep the dirt down? I just wonder if some sort of air foil would help an RV. Maybe a retired trucker my know.

Herman

They still air deflectors like those on some school buses, theoretically to help keep the back windows cleaner so the driver can see through them. 

I'd suggest caution when making any changes to the airflow in the rear of a coach - in spite of the mess the airflow back there does have to serve a purpose and get air across the radiator and other cooling surfaces. If you make any changes, whether a rear full-width mud flap or a wind deflector at the rear end of the roof you might suddenly find that you have an overheating situation or poorer performance. 

The engineers counted on air flowing in a particular path. An example of a problem is my model of coach which comes from the factory with a full-width mud flap in front of the rear-mounted engine directly beneath the engine firewall. Some owners have put another full-width mud flap under the rear bumper, and the result is usually to cause the air to stall out inside the engine compartment and starve the radiator. The cure is to remove the newly-added flap, and hopefully no damage was done when the engine overheated.

Not saying don't do it, just to use caution. The truth is that a basically rectangular box going down a damp or wet roadway is going to mess its diaper every trip. Not much that can be done to stop it other than wait for clearer weather. All that road spray will churn up lots of muck back there. I do like mentioned above and give it a quick spray with Simple Green, let it sit for a short while, then gently brush it down with some running water. Takes about 5 minutes to clean the back end.

21 hours ago, PatandTerry said:

I had a big flap on the back of my last big pusher and it did help hold down some of the rock damage.

I found that the big mud flap created more turbulence and kicked up more/bigger dirt and gravel onto my CR-V. I had to remove my mud flap (because it got damaged by a big chunk of tire) and the toad is cleaner. Well cleaner is a relative term I have pictures where you can't tell what color the toad was. 

PatandTerry, Not picking on you but this is a very common  subject on all the RV forums. My question is how do you know what chips and damage on your toad happened when towing? I haven't been able to tell. I have had this toad since new and now at 144,000+ miles (not including towed miles) it has some chips and outer dings. There are nun that I can point to and say it happened when towing. 

What is your current RV? If you put it in your signature it helps get better answers and you don't have to remember to add it to any post you make. See manholt and hermanmullins post as examples.

Bill

Our MH has a huge wing mounted atop the rear cap by OEM design, the rear cap stays surprisingly clean all the time. I have determined the rear flap only helps kick up stones when driving crushed stone roads.

1999 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom - $21400 | RV, RVs for ...

Edited by rayin