Haynesrick

Trying to decide on Best Class A Size for State and National parks

I am new to the Forum and n the market for an older ‘04 to ‘08 Class A (trying to stay away from DEF).  Right now the Winnebago Vectra, Newmar Ventana and Monaco Cayman are my front runners.    I have been stuck on 34’ as a desired length tat will give us good access to the parks, but the inventory and floor plans seem to be calling me to a 36’ version.  A Vectra 32T caught my eye as well and is an interesting distractionl.

Please provide any thoughts as to the 34 vs 36 size and models’ pros and cons regarding handling on the road, maneuverability, reliability and of course access to the state and national parks?  This will be our first entry into the class A world so any advise will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Rick

Edited by Haynesrick
I left “A” out of the subject

Rick,

Welcome to the Forum.

Any Class A under 36 foot should fit in most if not all State and/or National Parks. Th coaches you have listed are all good Coaches. I tend to lean towards the Monaco. Any Monaco before 2007 should be a good one. In my opinion, and just my opinion, all manufacturers went to h#@% after 2007 and haven't done too well in recovering. What with Bankruptcies, DEF, Regeneration, Particular Filters and sooo many buyouts it's hard to tell who's on first.

Good luck with your hunt, and again Welcome

Herman 

On 2/7/2022 at 3:57 PM, Haynesrick said:

I have been stuck on 34’ as a desired length tat will give us good access to the parks, but the inventory and floor plans seem to be calling me to a 36’ version.  A Vectra 32T caught my eye as well and is an interesting distractionl.

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located?

This is a subject that comes up frequently. It is a common thread on all the RV forums. I am not of that school of thought. My last coach was a 38' coach and I never found a place I couldn't find some place to camp. Some times it was outside of a National Park. But I always have a toad with me. Something they arn't saying (those who promote the small coach dialog) just because you show up in a small coach doesn't mean you can get into any of the RV/camp grounded in the park? Most for this year are already reserved with waiting list. I have been told that if I didn't stay in the park I wasn't geting the full "experience". So all the times before I had a RV and drove to places doesn't count? What about all the times you arn't staying in National/state Parks? Smaller RVs have less storage and less living space. 

I do agree that the older pre DEF and exhaust filters are better. Maybe one day they will get the DEF problems fixed but till then. My coach is a 2008 with a 2007 chassis. 

I would also look at Fortravel and there are a few older Newell's out there. Look at thease and tell me what you think.

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2008-Foretravel-Motorhome-Nimbus-XT-3620-Nimbus-11098235?ref=list

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2007-American-Coach-Motorhome-Tradition-40Z-American-Tradition-11400693?ref=list

There are a couple more at this dealer.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes?sortBy=price desc

Bill

You will spend a lot more time LIVING in the coach than you will visiting National Parks. Pick a floor plan you like and don’t worry about the length. There are always alternatives to staying in a National Park. There are no alternatives if you get stuck with a floor plan you don’t like.

Thanks for all of the comments.

We finally pulled the trigger on a 2006 Newmar Ventana 3330.  We also bought the Jeep Wrangler toad,  can’t wait for our first trip in March.  Our thought is to ramp up to summer traveling by staying relatively close to home.  We’re thinking multiple set ups and tear downs to get used to the coach and better understand what we can and can’t do with it.  So many button, switches, latches etc. 🤓

49 minutes ago, Haynesrick said:

We’re thinking multiple set ups and tear downs to get used to the coach and better understand what we can and can’t do with it.  So many button, switches, latches etc. 🤓

Congratulations. Yes those Jeeps are realey complicated.

Bill

On 2/19/2022 at 10:44 AM, Haynesrick said:

Thanks for all of the comments.

We finally pulled the trigger on a 2006 Newmar Ventana 3330.  We also bought the Jeep Wrangler toad,  can’t wait for our first trip in March.  Our thought is to ramp up to summer traveling by staying relatively close to home.  We’re thinking multiple set ups and tear downs to get used to the coach and better understand what we can and can’t do with it.  So many button, switches, latches etc. 🤓

On 2/19/2022 at 11:33 AM, wildebill308 said:

Congratulations. Yes those Jeeps are realey complicated.

Bill

Hi,

This is our second Class A  RV year. The short  local trips we took around Michigan and Indiana during our 1st year, led us to buy a second Class A that is a 2009 Fleetwood vs 2003 Newmar Dutch Star.  The Fleetwood is the same length  at 42' but has 3 slides and almost all of the wish list items for us to want become FL snowbirds next winter  so during a recent trip we scouted for and found a  4 month RV resort Rental and a replacement RV that is being shipped to us from FLA to MI in a couple of weeks. Time to ready our Newmar 2003 DS for sale.  

Top of Co-Captain Jody's wish list was 1 and a 1/2 bathrooms.   Separate washer and dryer ( not stacked )  and in general a much bigger floor plan inside. For me I get a tag  Axle  and 400 hp vs 350HP on a Spartan chassis vs Freightliner. and some electronics that the Newmar did not have. Full  motion sat dish , auto leveling, etc  

42 minutes ago, megelton said:

This is our second Class A  RV year. The short  local trips we took around Michigan and Indiana during our 1st year, led us to buy a second Class A that is a 2009 Fleetwood vs 2003 Newmar Dutch Star.  The Fleetwood is the same length  at 42' but has 3 slides and almost all of the wish list items for us to want become FL snowbirds next winter  so during a recent trip we scouted for and found a  4 month RV resort Rental and a replacement RV that is being shipped to us from FLA to MI in a couple of weeks. Time to ready our Newmar 2003 DS for sale.

Congratulations on The new to you 2009 Fleetwood. What I am not understanding is now you now say " replacement RV that is being shipped to us from FLA to MI in a couple of weeks"?? What happened to the 2009 Fleetwood? 

53 minutes ago, megelton said:

Separate washer and dryer ( not stacked )

I have never seen a Separate washer and dryer that weren't stacked.

Bill

On 2/7/2022 at 3:57 PM, Haynesrick said:

I am new to the Forum and n the market for an older ‘04 to ‘08 Class A (trying to stay away from DEF).  Right now the Winnebago Vectra, Newmar Ventana and Monaco Cayman are my front runners.    I have been stuck on 34’ as a desired length tat will give us good access to the parks, but the inventory and floor plans seem to be calling me to a 36’ version.  A Vectra 32T caught my eye as well and is an interesting distractionl.

Please provide any thoughts as to the 34 vs 36 size and models’ pros and cons regarding handling on the road, maneuverability, reliability and of course access to the state and national parks?  This will be our first entry into the class A world so any advise will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Rick

I have a 2004 Monaco Cayman 36 PDD, and have no problems in getting into State or National Parks. I have upgraded the trailing arms to the Source Engineering arms, added Bilstein Shocks and enhanced the air bag system.  Put in lcd televisions, get 10 to11 mpg. Turning radius is 50 degrees. I am actually upgrading and my Cayman will become on the market in the next 10 days.

We get our 36' Alpine Coach into any State or National park that says it can accommodate 30'...... it seems that they always under estimate. I think they actually seem to size these sites for tow behinds with a TV. 2 of us are very happy in this size traveling with one pet for almost 4 years now.

I suggest you read up on Alpine Coach it was on Par with Monaco (upper models) back in the day and is often referred to as the "BMW of Motorhomes" as they are such a pleasure to drive!