engineer53

Cold weathers

I dont believe the heat inside the rv will kerp the fuel from jelling because the fuel tank is not heated. They usually use a “winter blend” in winter climate areas to keep that from happening.

34 minutes ago, engineer53 said:

Will the diesel fuel in a Class A keep from

gelling in sub freezing temperatures if the heat inside the RV is at or above 65 degrees?

Welcome to the forum. No it won't. I use Diesel Kleen year around and If temperatures are below 30°F I add Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost (white bottle) for winter operability. It prevents fuel gelling and protects against fuel-filter icing. If you do have a problem and it is already jelling use Use Diesel 9•1•1 to reliquify gelled fuel and de-ice frozen fuel-filters. 

I try to stay where it is warmer but you can get caught by cold weather.

Bill

We live in Wisconsin, and around here the fuel in the winter season is already treated to be usable through the winter. If you are in a cold area, then you should try and fuel in that area to get the pre-treated/blended fuel. If you're unsure if the fuel is pre-treated or blended properly for the cold, ask before pumping.

One time I bought a diesel step van from a southern location and had it delivered to me here in Wisconsin. The delivery took place in January when temps here were around 0F. The seller thought they were being helpful and topped off the tank for me. When they pulled it off the trailer I had about 32 gallons of gelled fuel to deal with, and it had to be towed to a shop so they could pull it inside and warm it up. Would have been better if they delivered it empty for filling up here, even if that meant using jerry cans.

Interior heat will do nothing to help your fuel.

If you have a tank of fuel which is not from a cold-weather prepped station, you should treat it with an anti-gel additive. Best if you can drive it a bit after that to circulate the additive throughout the fuel system. If you can't drive it right now, at least run your engine for a while to circulate the fuel and try and get the anti-gel chemicals distributed. When the engine is run the fuel pump will return fuel to the tank and slowly circulate it.

As  previously replied, local diesel fuel is blended for the coming season, but JIC I carry a quart of Power Service 9.1.1 in the red bottle  during extremely cold weather. I have never experienced "gelled fuel" in my lifetime and I'm 79.

I always refuel at 1/2 tank to avoid arriving in cold weather with totally untreated fuel.

Edited by rayin