wildebill308

Cummins fault codes

I Just bought a computer for my RV, just in case my Cummins 605 de rates.  We found a company that has these computers for all of our excavating machines from Caterpillar to International to Cummins. I'm not planning on getting stuck anywhere,,,,, especially out west and waiting for parts or chancing getting hit in the slow lane or shoulder. So he set me up with a cheaper version computer for just Cummins  for my RV. I'm not real computer savvy so the salesman said I can call him 7 days a week if I have a problem and he would walk me through it ,which is worth a lot to me. It must be pretty thorough and complete because he said I could change things in the computer like horsepower which I wouldn't suggest. I actually only care about a DE Rate situation,,,,

This system I got "computer" tells all  the codes  for my cummins and actually comes with a laptop and all connections. It was only in the grand range and does a hard reset of whatever problem i might have in my Entegra  Cornerstone or my Cummins 2021 605,, especially the dang DEF system so I can continue on . After hearing nightmare stories of people with ruined vacations , lack of parts, and dangerous De Rates on Interstates,,,, um I was not having any of that garbage since I like going out west with my grandkids and the dealers get farther and farther between. It comes in it's own case and I would suggest it for anyone worrying about a De Rate situation. No sense endangering our families because of this ridiculous DEF system malfunctions. Now I can hit the road this summer and not worry , at least about the DEF system. I just saw this forum and thought I'D throw this out to whomever might need one. I'll be at the Alexandria Bay rally and maybe someone with more computer savvy can mess with it there,,,

You can clear the codes but if it’s a “hard fault” you will most likely only get a few minutes before it tosses you back in Derate. It certainly could help get you to a safe place depending where you are. 
The sad part, your coach manufacture just cost you that money, why? All engine manufacturers have a fault code override feature, while cranking the engine you press that button and it will allow you to move the vehicle to a safe place, unfortunately motorhome manufacturers elect not to install it.

5F4AC9B4-A70C-4FAD-9ACB-6DBD28F17880.jpeg

Edited by jleamont

7 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

I wonder how hard it would be to install.

Bill

Those and parked regen switch’s are usually only 2-3 wires pinned into the ECM. The acknowledgment and warning lights associated an additional 2 wires per light. Not a big deal until you consider the distance between the dash and ECM. When the coach was under construction it would have been SIMPLE!!!!

It's not an install, it plugs into the ECM only after the codes appear and we did use the program on our 2020 Peterbilt with the same 605 Cummins motor and that's when I had the brainstorm to get a cheaper version just for Cummins from the salesman . What baffled us was the 3 Aftertreatment Diesel Exhaust Fluid codes didn't come back on ,which kinda sucks because we aren't sure whether to fix it or not after the reset, but fortunately we are rarely more then 100 miles from our shop . This unit is basically like Snap On sends to car dealers for autos except it is for trucks and Heavy equipment. Our main unit cost us $7500 but covered all but John Deere Engines. This Unit plugs in under the dash into the ECM only when you throw a code  problem, it is not a permanent mount or supposed to be a permanent fix ,it just happened to work well on our Peterbilt when we reset it,, so for the grand plus I paid , the Salesman Guaranteed me I wouldn't be left on the highway. I will go out to the RV and take some photos of the unit at some point and the multiple plugs it comes with. Now,, the RV very well may slowly go back into de Rate but my salesman assured me that at least I can keep resetting the computer if necessary and keep up to speed till I get home or a repair shop that can fix it.

Here is photos of the unit. The bottom one is the plug in my Cornerstone for Cummins with a matching plug in the Kit. Look , I don't even know how to use it but my salesman is local/reputable and since we buy other tools from him and he assures me he can walk me through it anytime and I it works on any Cummins up to year 2022 ?  It's not hard decision I had to go with it. I sure would like to know what that rocker switch is next to my plug though,,,,,,

Entegra3.thumb.jpg.0676b196b53dd4cddd475619f80c88b9.jpgentegra4.thumb.jpg.f81b9d5b4d810358757f46891f9f99d2.jpgEntegra7.thumb.jpg.a9fffec722fb132abfa5734e1860e61b.jpgEntegra5.thumb.jpg.1f6b7f4e3b2f15c519074aad10bc8161.jpgEntegra6.thumb.jpg.73aa075869383dfcc8f10daa7545a809.jpgEntegra2.thumb.jpg.3c37875efc95e26fa46a408401c4667e.jpg

16 hours ago, jleamont said:

Those and parked regen switch’s are usually only 2-3 wires pinned into the ECM. The acknowledgment and warning lights associated an additional 2 wires per light. Not a big deal until you consider the distance between the dash and ECM. When the coach was under construction it would have been SIMPLE!!!!

I agree, To much cost cutting that realey hurts them in the long run.

Joe, Hear is a problem I heard about at the rally. Person has a Parshall derate He is Only getting about 55% engine loading and about 5-8 psi boost.(this is under load on a hill full accelerator) How ever it will on occasion go to 85-98% loading and 20-25psi boost. Yet it will drop back to the earlier rating once it shifts. Any ides?

9 hours ago, Terradynelogistics@aol.com said:

Our main unit cost us $7500 but covered all but John Deere Engines.

That sounds higher than the Cummins package with the computer. Who makes /sells this one?

Bill

Bill, likely a sensor with an intermittent problem or a wiring harness issue. Fault codes should help point someone in the right direction.

16 hours ago, jleamont said:

Bill, likely a sensor with an intermittent problem or a wiring harness issue. Fault codes should help point someone in the right direction.

Will pass that on. Had a fun night. Supper on the flight deck of the USS Midway with a band.

Did you know this is the 100th anniversary of the launching of the first aircraft carrier. Pretty cool way to celebrate it.

Bill

Bill, saw the pictures, sorry we missed it.  Looked cold.  What was for supper?  

We'll be in holding area at Pima Fairgrounds tomorrow & going in with AIM.

12 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill, saw the pictures, sorry we missed it.  Looked cold.  What was for supper?  

We'll be in holding area at Pima Fairgrounds tomorrow & going in with AIM.

We will be in Tuesday 22. We are at High Chaparral RV Park 7575 W Battaglia Dr, Casa Grande, AZ 85193. I won't be parked with Aim as I got full hookups. But I will find the Aim tent.:lol:

It was a little cool. Supper was the usual, a beef dish chicken and usual sides. They had a couple nice dishes for desert. All together with the open bar it was pretty good. 

Bill

On 3/20/2022 at 5:20 AM, jleamont said:

With the Cummins software does everything/all functions quit if the Key times/runs out?

Bill

On 3/20/2022 at 12:13 AM, wildebill308 said:

I agree, To much cost cutting that realey hurts them in the long run.

Joe, Hear is a problem I heard about at the rally. Person has a Parshall derate He is Only getting about 55% engine loading and about 5-8 psi boost.(this is under load on a hill full accelerator) How ever it will on occasion go to 85-98% loading and 20-25psi boost. Yet it will drop back to the earlier rating once it shifts. Any ides?

That sounds higher than the Cummins package with the computer. Who makes /sells this one?

Bill

Bill, I got the Unit for Cummins from a guy called "Independent Mark Tool" his number is 908-873-7680. Hope it helps someone out, H esaid he will walk all customers through the process to do a reset and get rid of faults