Reading the info, it appears you just buy the $229 hotspot device, sign up for a data plan, and when you get the device you call and activate it.  Virtual Sim or Multi Sim technology will shift you from an AT&T tower to a T-Mobile tower to a Verizon tower depending on the strongest cell signal.  But, this is 4G technology, and it does appear the data plans are expensive.

3 hours ago, rayin said:

I think Dish wifi depends on a phone line for upload.

Ray, I don't know of dish providing an up-llink using only a receiver. There has to be a transmitter and most will only have a cell phone. that leaves a question of "blind" spots. Also, setting up the RV has to have access to an open path to the transponder.

WIth this statement from their web page, "Without a physical SIM card, the Journey1 will prioritize to the best available cellular network, find service, and optimize. When the user moves locations, the hotspot finds new service and optimizes their connection again."

Means that a hotspot has to be used. It is going to be very dependent on the locations of the hotspots as to the availability of a link.

I'd definitely pass on this one until proven to work to satisfaction.

The plans are still expensive. I'll stick to my AT&t unlimited hotspot. Heck of a lot less of $$.