schoonmakerjon

Eastern Michigan Travel

Question

All,  we are planning a trip, late June - mid-July,  through Eastern MI, from New Buffalo to Mackinac Island. 

What recommendations do you all have for campgrounds, stopovers/waypoints and specific locations to experience the area?   

We will be traveling from the Albany, NY area and will start our trip on I-90/NY Thurway.  From this starting point we have quite a bit of flexibility and are traveling in a 45ft motorcoach.   Thank you for your recommendations and suggestions.    --  Jon

9 answers to this question

We did the same trip from Albany a few years ago - entered Canada (if you can) from Buffalo and headed for Detroit. Customs was easy but took about 30 minutes - they will enter your coach and take a look. We stopped in Detroit to visit "The Henry Ford" museum - a great surprise and well worth the stop. Can't remember the campground name but it was very close to the GM driving proving grounds. From there up to Mackinaw and Mackinac Island - you need to hop a ferry for that visit. We went to Sault St. Marie for the day  also - nice town. As far as campgrounds - it all depends how remote you want to be. We stayed in Newberry - quiet, very little traffic and easy to get to but somewhat remote. Full hook ups also.

Johnarch,

Hello and I appreciate you providing your experience about this trip.   We will consider going through Canada as part of the trip.   Although since we will be traveling with pets/dogs, it might be more difficult to get in/out of Canada.  

My initial approach is to travel I90 and I69, staying in the US.   So we will see.   Thank you.     ---  Jon

schoonmakerjon - We do not travel with pets so it was not an issue. We chose the Canada route because it seemed less traveled and was a change of scenery. Your route would work just as well. Enjoy.

On 2/23/2022 at 6:23 AM, johnarch said:

We stopped in Detroit to visit "The Henry Ford" museum - a great surprise and well worth the stop.

I will second that. You can't begin to see everything in a day. There are so many amazing things and on top of the museum they have over 80 acers around the museum(Greenfield Village) where they have moved important buildings and homes in and have people giving talks about them. They have all of Edison's labs, They have the first building in the world lit by electric lights. The wright brothers bicycle shop. https://www.thehenryford.org/

The only problem when traveling in Canada is when you need to buy fuel. Just looked and diesel is $1.79. 

Bill

I second spending a couple of days at The Henry Ford.  It is a one of a kind museum indoors and out.  We also visited the F150 Ford Truck Rouge factory.  Great experience.

Don

Fuel in Canada is per litter, not gallons. :wacko:

We are on a Alaska tour stating June 5, 2022...60 days.  Our dog comes with us, with up to date papers! :)

8 hours ago, manholt said:

Fuel in Canada is per litter, not gallons. :wacko:

We are on a Alaska tour stating June 5, 2022...60 days.  Our dog comes with us, with up to date papers! :)

So Carl, where will you be the first week in July?

Don