domano

Turbo PSI - Cummins 340hp

Curious those with the ISB 6.7 340hp Cummins what’s the maximum Turbo PSI they are receiving. My maximum is around 17, and Freightliner is telling me they feel that’s a little low.  I’ve noticed recently that climbing mountains, I’m just not getting the power I used to have.  

Haven't had a 6.7 but my 5.9 would run 35+. What does Freightliner think the problem is? Have you checked the CAC for leaks or all the clamps on the airline/ducks in and out of the turbo? 

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

On the waiting list to get it into Freightliner…. Was hoping someone here with the same engine can tell me their PSI…. I can’t find anything online with regards to a suitable range (ie. if typically it should be 30-35 and I’m running at 17, then I know I have a problem, but if 19-20 is typical, then it’s probably okay)… just trying to get feedback here if anyone knows.  

14 hours ago, domano said:

On the waiting list to get it into Freightliner…. Was hoping someone here with the same engine can tell me their PSI…. I can’t find anything online with regards to a suitable range (ie. if typically it should be 30-35 and I’m running at 17, then I know I have a problem, but if 19-20 is typical, then it’s probably okay)… just trying to get feedback here if anyone knows.  

Why don't you call a couple of your local Cummins dealers and ask them?

Bill

domano,

My first thought was, "have you ever had your Turbo serviced? It sounds to me like you may have a sticking Waste Gate Valve. It would also help to know the year of you RV and make.

Herman

2017 Newmar Ventana LE 3709 340hp Cummins 6.7 ISB.  Never had it (turbo) serviced.  I’ll call Cummins tomorrow and ask then about what PSI I should expect on, say, a 6% grade rolling at 65mph. Right now I drop to about 30 before getting over the mountain. 

On 2/28/2022 at 9:47 AM, wildebill308 said:

Are you manually downshifting to keep your rpm up? 

Bill

Bingo, when I manually drop a gear pulling a hill I get more boost vs allowing it to shift on its own.

On 3/8/2022 at 9:54 AM, manholt said:

Yup, gauge in dash!

Don, you should have it on your dash also....Never had a DP that didn't.

Doug’s Allegro Bus NOPE!

If its a FTL Chassis, its on the Light Bar Control Unit.  Turbo Pressure, Tranny Temp, Engine Temp, Etc, Etc.  No exhaust gas temp, darn it. 

The gauge measures in PSI.