rcross

SoftStartRV

The idea is interesting, however I cannot understand this one thing. We've been advised for many years that the lack of full voltage upon startup will slowly and permanently ruin an inductive motor. This device webpage states it works by ramping up voltage instead of applying full voltage to the motor, thereby allowing use of the A/C motor under less than ideal conditions. Look it up yourself.

How does this work then without damaging the inductive motor in the  A/C compressor? I have asked electricians online and have not received a full answer.

Everything I've found on the internet about this Softstart product is sponsored by them.

No SoftStart here, but I've been using the EasyStart from MicroAir for a year or so and find it works great. The ramp-up happens really quickly, so I'm thinking that it will not cause any problems for the motor at all. The whole intent is to prevent the momentary surge in current draw as the compressor starts up, not to extend the start up for minutes. The whole operation happens so fast you can't notice it, but the generator sure can.

Looks like I've come to the table WAY late, but I did install one on my rear AC.  It does AS ADVERTISED.  I watched the current draw ramp-up AND inside my wife noted "it's quieter".  Two friends with small trailers each added them.  Before adding their Honda 2000 wouldn't handle start-up load.  IN BOTH CASES they're now able to run their AC on the Honda 2000.

How that helps. 

On 8/8/2022 at 7:01 PM, mhouse said:

Looks like I've come to the table WAY late, but I did install one on my rear AC.  It does AS ADVERTISED.  I watched the current draw ramp-up AND inside my wife noted "it's quieter".  Two friends with small trailers each added them.  Before adding their Honda 2000 wouldn't handle start-up load.  IN BOTH CASES they're now able to run their AC on the Honda 2000.

How that helps. 

Thanks for the insight. I had heard you could but don't have any experience.

Bill

We also have the SoftStart and am going to eco what mhouse mentioned, the instructions were a bit challenging but after conversation with SoftStart engineer (Danny) 915-235-6056 the process took less then 10 minutes. the lesson initial load on the generator and the noticeable (Lack of hammer start-up) defiantly worth the investment, but for compressor longevity? jury’s still out. 

I can't add anything new, I am going to ask an electrician in my hometown and get to the bottom of this issue, does it damage the inductor motor. And, I would like to install it on my 2005 Alfa See Ya motorhome.