HNandCB

Battery in engine always dead

It would help if we knew what RV you had and what year it is. Could be a bad solenoid or it needs a trikl-start for the chassis batteries.

Parasitic current draw. Even with the disconnect switch in the off position there is still parasitic draw. Leaving the step switch in the ON position is a big draw.

Yes, need to know year, make, model, etc. like put it in your signature line.

p.s, I spent the first 19 years of my life in North Brookfield, but it was an accident of birth!

When I worked as a mechanic we found parasites with this method. We would disconnect the positive cable. We would put a volt meter between the battery post and and the cable. It would show 12 volts. We would pull a fuse one at a time till the voltage drops. When the voltage drops there is where the problem is. You still have to find the issue but you have a starting place.

Herman 

When on shore power, my inverter/charger will charge the house batteries until the charge reaches 13.3, then the charger relay (big boy for older systems) will open the chassis batteries will get charged.  When I first got this coach, I had the same problem the OP is having.  Got it fixed by calling REV and having the tech talk me through adjusting the settings on the Magnum.  Now all is well.

Edited by five

I found on my 2004 Trek MH on a F53 chassis that the chassis battery didn't get any charge except with the engine running.  I installed a BatteryMinder "float charger" from Northern Tool and that's solved my problem.  Whenever I'm connected to shore power, the BatteryMinder keeps the chassis battery fully charged and the Xantrex 458 inverter keeps the house batteries charged. 

How about checking the cables for corrosion and tight fit. I once had a vehicle that used the older battery terminal connectors. Although the connector was as tight as possible, it still allowed enough corrosion that the electrical connection was 'iffy.' Enjoy your travels.