jmcvea148

White smoke then fire from exhaust on Cummins ISB

Monaco cayman 2006 Cummins ISB.  Returning from Florida to Atlanta. Noticed first check engine light came on, then loss of power, then tremendous white smoke then fire coming from exhaust. Managed to shut down engine and coast into parking lot. Tow device not available til tomorrow (Monday) 

only thing different is first time I used Power Service cetane booster. 
I’m in Avon Park , FL. ( 40 miles south of Orlando) need recommend diesel service and thoughts on what causes this. 
Thanks in advance 

Jim McVea

Will it start now?? Is your coolant low??

There are three major causes of white smoke from a diesel engine. Raw diesel fuel passing through the exhaust completely unburned, water/coolant entering the combustion chamber, and the temperature in the combustion chamber being too low.

Edited by sstgermain

What was your water temp when this happened? I dought the " first time I used Power Service cetane booster." was a problem. I have used it every time I fill up. Do you know what your EGT was when this happened?

Bill

Engine temperature was normal. Temp gauge on the Cayman does not show in degrees, so engine was same as it has been for as long as I can remember. 
Not sure how to read EGT on this rig. 

Sounds like a stuck open fuel injector. I wouldn’t start it, it could cost you the engine. Fuel additive, coincidence, unless you severely over added it. 

On 3/22/2022 at 4:20 PM, jleamont said:

Sounds like a stuck open fuel injector. I wouldn’t start it, it could cost you the engine. Fuel additive, coincidence, unless you severely over added it. 

That sounds like the likely problem. Yes I would have it checked before trying to start. Let us know.

Bill