Sign in to follow this  
cpenn

Florida Campground Info

We like to stay at Stagecoach RV Park when in St. Augustine. It is right off I-95 and has several restaurants, two outlet malls, Camping World and Gander Mountain close by. It is about 10 miles from the beach so a toad would be necessary to visit downtown or the beach. If you prefer real camping or the beach, Anastasia Island State Park is very popular and sites can be reserved on Reserve America.

How about if one does NOT have a toad and wishes to stay in St. Augustine area? Any suggestions there?

Right now, looking into St. Augustine Beach KOA and North Beach Camp Resort. The KOA has a shuttle that goes into town. North Beach does not seem to have that from what I read so far.

Any input on this from anyone?

cpenn - hope you don't mind me intruding on your thread but rather than start a new topic, thought I would just get a bit more specific about one of the same areas you were asking about. Thanks

Hi Tulirose,

Without a toad, your choices are limited to a CG with shuttle service. I think the KOA is your only choice. Another alternative is a taxi.

Thank you Gary for your response to my inquiry a year ago. I had forgotten my password and hit a wall each time I tried to retrieve it. Gave up for along time but decided to try again today and this time, my password was sent to me immediately.

It is exactly one year and a day since I had access to this forum. In that timeframe, we have been to North Beach CG twice. First time with a toad and the second time without as it was pouring rain when we were leaving NY and didn't wish to deal with the hassle of hooking it up, etc. On this 2nd visit, we signed up for the trolley/train tour of St. Augustine (the one that starts at the Old Jail) and they shuttled us back and forth from the CG to town.

As a St. Augustine resident, I will confirm that North Beach Campground is a beautiful location. We have never camped there because it is right down the road but have friends that camp there regularly. It sits on the intracoastal waterway and right across from the ocean on A1A. It has huge oak trees to provide shade. They also have a few cabins if someone wants non-campers to join them. The owners of the campground opened a resatuarant, Aunt Kate's, next to it on the river side. Within walking distance is another restaurant on the river, Cap's, and then on the ocean, The Reef. All are very good and popular restaurants. South on A1A about 1 1/2 miles is one of the best local restaurants, Toucan Terry's - not atmospheric but absolutely great food.

Another St. Augustine campground to check out is Bryn Mawr, right on the ocean in St. Augustine Beach. We have not stayed there but have heard high recommendations.

Between St. Augustine and Daytona, there are several campgrounds on the ocean in Flagler County. One state park is the Gamble Rogers State Park on the ocean in Flagler county. I don't believe any provide much shade on the ocean.

About 40-60 miles North of St. Augustine, is Fernandina Beach which is home of Ft. Clinch State Park. We really have enjoyed this park. Camped there on the river bend which is covered with oak trees. The bathrooms are new and kept spotless. An easy walk down to the waterfront to watch the sunset or walk along the shore. They have reenactments weekends at the fort so check their schedule if that interests you. The ocean bend is open to the sun with only a few palm trees. Fernandina is a cute little town to shop and eat.

We like the Florida State Parks. True you have to make reservations 11 months in advance and you can only stay 2 weeks in a given park, but we have learned to live with that as we like to move around a lot anyway and see new things.

CPEN If you are going to Daytona Beach for a race International RV Park is nice especially in the new section in the back. All roads are paved as well as most sites. If you are looking to stay beach side, north of Daytona in Flagler Beach is a nice place right on the beach.

We have camped @ Anastasia State Park several times without a toad. We call the Ripley's Sightseeing Trains @ 904-829-6545 7 they have free pick-up & return shuttle service. They come right to your campsite to pick you up & they bring you back 2 the end of the day to your camp site. Purchase the Red Train ticket & ride the train all over St. Augustine. There are 22 stops & the trains come by about every 10 to 15 minutes. If you like fish & chips, a must is The Prince of Wales located @ 54 Cuna Street. They also have a web site.

Carl & Gloria