richbis

Cummins Scan Tool that Works?

Hi All,

My name's Rich, and no I'm not! I'm new to the club and forum. Bought a 2003 34' Newmar Kountry Star about a year ago, got it checked out recently to use and after that the Check Engine Light came on. Bought the NexLink NL102+ to read the codes and it doesn't see any codes, but the Check Engine Light is still on! Any suggestions? It has a Cummins 5.9L engine and the 9 pin OBD2 connector. Is there a way to retrieve the codes without a scan tool? Like a way to trigger the check engine light to blink the code? I already tried the turn the ignition switch off to on 3 times and that didn't work. Any suggestions? I'm about ready to take it to the Freightliner shop, but I'd sure like to know what the problem is before taking it there. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

I use a Bluefire for Motorhomes. It plugs into the OBD connector, and you can use an android phone, ipad, iphone and set up gauges and check and clear fault codes.

I'm not sure when Freightliner had th light bar control unit but if you have that, you can pull the codes from there. I suggest calling either the Freightliner or Spartan help desk. FTL is 1-800--385-4357 have the last 6 numbers of your VIN. 

Thanks All, for the helpful suggestions! But as luck would have it, after spending several days troubleshooting, buying equipment that didn't work and trying to find out what to do; I took it to my local smog guy to see if he could pull the codes and I guess that scared the ECU into behaving and turning the Check Engine Light OFF! I can only guess that it was one of those hiccups where you have to recycle the engine many times for a trouble code to clear???

Does anyone know if this 2003 Cummins uses OBD2 or 1??? How I might find out??? I'll try calling Freightliner as noted above.

Thanks Again!!!!

Now get this: Called that Freightliner Number and the guy told me there's no scan tool to read the codes other than a $1000 software that also costs $300-$400 per year to maintain. He recommended I go to a truck shop and most of them will have the ability to read it. I asked if my rig us OBD2 or 1 and he said it was neither! Was he just giving me a run around or is this the truth???

They really dont use OBD 1 or 2. For a diesel it is J1939. The bluefire dongle plugs right into the J1939 connector.\ And it reads all the codes.

5 hours ago, sstgermain said:

They really dont use OBD 1 or 2. For a diesel it is J1939. The bluefire dongle plugs right into the J1939 connector.\ And it reads all the codes.

Thanks sstgermain!!! I'm leaning towards buy that after researching it. Just hope it works on mine!

Well, there are a few aftermarket tools that will pull codes, Scan Gauge D is what I have and it works…so far. Most aftermarket tools miss interpret the data stream and can send you down an incorrect worm hole. The years I spent as a dealer tech I would see this often where an independent shop attempted repairs that were unsuccessful, came to me and I could see all the new parts that were installed on a completely different subsystem of the engine and the codes listed on the invoice were not what I saw in history.

6 hours ago, jleamont said:

Well, there are a few aftermarket tools that will pull codes, Scan Gauge D is what I have and it works…so far. Most aftermarket tools miss interpret the data stream and can send you down an incorrect worm hole. The years I spent as a dealer tech I would see this often where an independent shop attempted repairs that were unsuccessful, came to me and I could see all the new parts that were installed on a completely different subsystem of the engine and the codes listed on the invoice were not what I saw in history.

Thanks jleamont! That gives me another good option to consider and I like the fact that they could customize it to my needs with X-Gauge if needed. I like this one as a standalone unit, but I also like the other one for more check engine info, suggested repairs and use on an Ipad, but yours would be great as an everyday monitor for gas mileage for sure! Luckily the check engine light went out, so no immediate emergency need, but I would like to get one and thinking as I write it might be the Bluefire because of the extra info that would be needed in the event of real trouble. Thanks Again!!!

19 hours ago, sstgermain said:

Thanks sstgermain!!! I'm leaning towards buy that after researching it. Just hope it works on mine!

Thanks All again!!! For your help and insight!!! I ended up purchasing the BlueFire Adapter because it gave me more of the data, like what the error code represents and info on how to possibly fix it. I felt I would need this more on the road than just knowing what the error code is and having to look it up. Especially in a break down situation.

The big question is::: will it really work on my unit??? I'll find out in a few days after I receive it and plug it in.

Thanks again for all the help!!!!

Rich

1 minute ago, richbis said:

Thanks All again!!! For your help and insight!!! I ended up purchasing the BlueFire Adapter because it gave me more of the data, like what the error code represents and info on how to possibly fix it. I felt I would need this more on the road than just knowing what the error code is and having to look it up. Especially in a break down situation.

The big question is::: will it really work on my unit??? I'll find out in a few days after I receive it and plug it in.

Rich

Let us know the fault codes.

Rich

Well, No fault codes using the BlueFire, probably because of no check engine light. Since my Newmar 5.9 Cummins is a 2003 it looks like it uses J1708, which may also be a problem. I can see it reading RPM, Engine and Trans Temps, etc; but the main reason I got it was to read fault codes, which I'm still not sure it can do for my motorhome. I could induce a problem by disconnecting something, but I'm too close to a planned trip to mess with it now. They keep saying to read the " getting started" document which is worse than reading an encyclopedia!!! As an electronics tech I worked on Air Force jets and Navy missiles, this is worse when trying to understand. I guess I'll end up keeping it since I don't have the time right now or the patience to prove it is not working. Since I don't have a check engine light now, it's not as critical as it was when I had one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Just keep it with you, when the light pops on scan it without shutting the engine down. It’s odd that it cannot see fault codes stored in history.

On 4/23/2022 at 10:02 PM, jleamont said:

Just keep it with you, when the light pops on scan it without shutting the engine down. It’s odd that it cannot see fault codes stored in history.

HEY JOE!!! Where can I grab one of those tools, Toi and I are in the market again and I will surly need one