m1lan0

What's the downside of chassis battery disconnect?

My 2005 Monaco Executive DP chassis batteries go dead in dry storage.  Yes, I understand why: the built-in "battery disconnect" switch doesn't (by design) actually disconnect everything. (Contemptible switch labelling, IMHO.)  Yanking the negative cable kills all parasites, and that's what I'd like to do, but I don't know what headaches to expect when I reconnect.  I've heard I'll suffer rough engine and rough shifting while the control modules re-learn, but I don't know how bad that is or how long it takes.  And I wonder what other systems will require manual reconfiguration (or re-learning) after complete powerlessness. 

I've considered adding a solar maintainer, but can't guess what wattage is enough to offset the not-really-disconnected parasites. 

Your horror stories or reassurances would be most appreciated. 

I'm also interested in this, as I need to replace my chassis batteries.  I'm worried what might go wrong when I take them out, drive a couple of hours to purchase new batteries, spend a couple more hours shopping, and then a couple more hours back to the coach before installing the new batteries.

Mike, I just bought new chassis batteries from my local Freightliner dealer (parts counter) they were original equipment AGM batteries (group 31) for $86.00 ea. I would call and see if they are still doing that deal.

I didn't have any problems with my coach but I have a Spartan chassis. I realey haven't heard of any major problems. Never had a problem when I had a Freightliner.

Bill

On 4/14/2022 at 6:24 PM, m1lan0 said:

My 2005 Monaco Executive DP chassis batteries go dead in dry storage.  Yes, I understand why: the built-in "battery disconnect" switch doesn't (by design) actually disconnect everything. (Contemptible switch labelling, IMHO.)  Yanking the negative cable kills all parasites, and that's what I'd like to do, but I don't know what headaches to expect when I reconnect.  I've heard I'll suffer rough engine and rough shifting while the control modules re-learn, but I don't know how bad that is or how long it takes.  And I wonder what other systems will require manual reconfiguration (or re-learning) after complete powerlessness. 

I've considered adding a solar maintainer, but can't guess what wattage is enough to offset the not-really-disconnected parasites. 

Your horror stories or reassurances would be most appreciated. 

Honestly, I’ve never experienced any issues cutting off all power. Any issues should be so minor you shouldn’t notice it. The most I’ve ever heard of was a slightly elevated idle.

The only downside is very minor, you lose your radio presets, takes all of 5 minutes to re-enter them. I've never noticed any difference in transmission shifting or engine performance.

My disconnected battery bank is at 3/4 charge level next spring. Then again, my LA house battery bank is only 6  years old..

Lead acid battery freeze chart

Edited by rayin