travelernet

Towing Ford Escape Hybrid disaster - need help

My 2020 Escape, purchased new in December 2020, has now died 19 times, twice before installing the braking and lighting system, and the rest after. That includes many non-towing events plus every towing day. I carry a jump pack after having used Ford Road Service far too many times. It has been in 4 different Ford service departments and is on its third new battery. Nobody can figure out how to fix it. Because it’s so difficult to find a good replacement now and the expense involved in outfitting yet another vehicle, I haven’t gone the Lemon Law route. I would only be entitled to what I paid for it and at that time, cars were still being discounted. But now on this 19th time, after being towed, it still thinks it’s in tow mode even though it runs through the gears and is drivable. BUT when I hook it up and try to put it in tow mode again, the wheels are locked and I can’t move the vehicle unless I put it in neutral. Not good. I can hear the engine running as I get out and lock the door. I could tow a very short distance but all systems are alive in the meantime. I’m due to leave my current spot in 3 days and travel 700 miles. I’m desperate now. I’m a grandma wanting to see her granddaughter graduate from high school and need to get there.  I live in my motorhome so flying isn’t an option. Gotta get this vehicle fixed so I can get going!  Help please!

Hello Grandma,

We had a similar problem with our Ford C-MAX when we were traveling full-time.  We found 2 solutions.  1. We hooked up a charging system that used the motorhome electricity to keep the battery charged while traveling.  The only problem with that solution was that we had to run the generator while traveling because the plug in the back of the motor home was live only when the generator was running.  Eventually a Ford Service tech suggested a product known as a T.O.A.D. charge system.  I installed this system myself.  It hooked up to the car battery terminals and live to the motor coach battery.  It was a fairly simple hook up when ready to travel.  After installing this system, I never had a problem with the car battery after that and we were on the road for about 3 years after the install.  We have been off the road since 2017 and I have not yet looked up this system on the internet.  As I remember, the cost of the system was about $100 give or take a few dollars.  What you have experienced is a nightmare for a full-time RV'er.  Good luck, and I hope this information can be helpful to you.  Jim Gunn

On 5/4/2022 at 6:06 AM, travelernet said:

My 2020 Escape, purchased new in December 2020, has now died 19 times, twice before installing the braking and lighting system, and the rest after. That includes many non-towing events plus every towing day. I carry a jump pack after having used Ford Road Service far too many times. It has been in 4 different Ford service departments and is on its third new battery. Nobody can figure out how to fix it. Because it’s so difficult to find a good replacement now and the expense involved in outfitting yet another vehicle, I haven’t gone the Lemon Law route. I would only be entitled to what I paid for it and at that time, cars were still being discounted. But now on this 19th time, after being towed, it still thinks it’s in tow mode even though it runs through the gears and is drivable. BUT when I hook it up and try to put it in tow mode again, the wheels are locked and I can’t move the vehicle unless I put it in neutral. Not good. I can hear the engine running as I get out and lock the door. I could tow a very short distance but all systems are alive in the meantime. I’m due to leave my current spot in 3 days and travel 700 miles. I’m desperate now. I’m a grandma wanting to see her granddaughter graduate from high school and need to get there.  I live in my motorhome so flying isn’t an option. Gotta get this vehicle fixed so I can get going!  Help please!

Call your dealer.

I had the same problems. Finally they fix it.