kev

HWH AP 2381 16,000 pound kick down leveling jack parts list and repair

There are a lot of topics on leveling jacks not retracting.  The HWH AP 2381 is a 16,000 pound capacity kick down jack.

My jacks  do not always fully retract either.  My system is NOT automatic.  Each jack is on a separate hydraulic valve.  To over come the retraction difficulty, I retract each jack before I start the engine.   With the coaches air ride suspension deflated the weight of the coach will fully push the jacks to the retracted position. When the suspension air bags inflate the coach will lift the jacks off of the ground.  This enables the jacks to swing up into the carry position fully retracted.  

As of late I have a new problem.  One of my swing down jacks in only moving to about a 45 degree position. Please note the hydraulic oil is ample enough to push the jack out, but the kick down cylinder, which is a smaller one is is not pushing out far enough to move the jack to a vertical position.  The rollers for the pivoting action are all operating smoothly.    What is the mechanical problem  inside is not permitting the unit to properly kick down?    

IMG_8283.JPG

Edited by kev
learning to post pictures

Questions; is the oil reservoir full when jacks are retracted? Is the oil clean and clear? BTW, NEVER use hydraulic oil in the HWH system.

First comes HWH hydraulic basics   then  HWH system identification.  For specific questions I recommend calling Stewarts Services, the largest HWH repair center outside the factory .

You need your model # before calling.

On 5/8/2022 at 6:47 PM, rayin said:

Questions; is the oil reservoir full when jacks are retracted? Is the oil clean and clear? BTW, NEVER use hydraulic oil in the HWH system.

First comes HWH hydraulic basics   then  HWH system identification.  For specific questions I recommend calling Stewarts Services, the largest HWH repair center outside the factory .

You need your model # before calling.

Called Stewarts last year.  Stewarts always replies to call HWH.  HWH was supposed to call me back.  No one has returned my call.  If any member has rebuilt the AP 2381 leveling jack please let me know what part of the rebuild process has gone wrong.  

Rayin, Thank you for your military service. 

Did  you look up the troubleshooting chart in the service manual for your specific HWH model? It's all under the link I provided for HWH. That is odd about Stewarts Services, they've always been great for getting jacks reworked.

That AP number is not  your leveling system ID,  did you open the 2nd link for identification?

My 32-year-old camper is not listed.  My leveling system is manual.  Each leveling jack has a valve to divert the oil to the jack.  The new number for the AP2381 is RAP 2381.  I do not want to purchase new jacks at the tune of $1700 EACH.  If there is a specific page, you can link me to for the rebuilding of the smaller kick down cylinder please provide it.  I keep going in circles to the purchase of new jacks on the HWH site. 

During a bench test the AP2381 will not kick to a full 90 degrees.   I have missed something simple in the rebuild.

Thank you for your continued time to reply to this topic as an effort to get my jack to function properly.    

Here is the completed picture.  In a  return call from HWH take  note they did not know if the ports connecting the two cylinders were both drilled with a hole or not. Finally another call from the tech person said they ar BOTH drilled ports even though they sent me one solid and one open with a "poppit'  valve"   On the other hand  they did not tell me what the problem was not permitting the jack to deploy intirely at 90 degrees.  HWH does not want anyone to know.   They would not tell me.  I did figure it out myself.  Below is a picture of a Carbide blast cleaned and painted (while in pieces) newly rebuilt functioning properly leveling jack.

Anyone having questions on the parts or rebuilding can Private Message me for now.  

I would, if permitted post the steps in the rebuild process for the 16000 pound leveling jack. Other HWH jacks may be similar.      

jack12.JPG

jack13.JPG

Edited by kev
forgot pictures

In a previous HWH Jack thread I posted the name, phone number of a man(Paul) who works for HWH, is an RVer and has stated numerous time he will offer his free advice and experience to others. He will not sell parts .email is pfmaddox@att.net phone# is six zero two 549 three six three eight. Understand, he is on multiple RVing forums, leave a msg W/ your phone# and as much info as possible and he will return your call.

Edited by rayin

Paul was not helpful.  Only suggestion was (last year) send it for repair. Same suggestion came from the phone call from HWH.  I want to post a video of the working jack but am not familair with posting videos on here.

The crud on my jack is the real reason jacks do not retract.    Please note many folks think the springs are getting weak.   Weak springs are NOT the reason jacks do not retract.  The reason is dirt.  The reason for my rebuild was the kick down cylinder was not working.  I found this dirt during the larger cylinder rebuild.  The large cylinder occasionally did not retract. 

More information here

IMG_8554.JPG

Edited by kev
add a link

Gee-whiz, if that is from the inside of the cylinder, I high suspect the oil system is contaminated with water. I would flush the hydraulic system completely while you have it opened up. I think HWH does have the recommended flushing procedure on their website.

The opened-up system requires the rebuilt jack be prefilled with HWH oil prior to reinstallation or an air pocket will be trapped inside. After the system has been flushed and said jack reinstalled;  the system must be purged of all air.

HWH says to top-off the oil reservoir to full mark, run jacks through one complete cycle, check reservoir and refill as necessary. Keep repeating this process until the reservoir does not require more  oil to remain at the full mark.

Note: your owners manual may approve using ATF of a specific type instead of HWH oil.  DO NOT use hydraulic jack oil or power steering fluid!

The crud collected on by glove was not past the first seal inside the jack.  The tank oil was NOT contaminated.  This crud was collected after 32 years of use.  Jacks should ideally be wiped off before retracting the jack, to its storage position.   When the jack is out the residual oil on the chrome shaft attracts dirt.  The dirt will somewhat wipe off when retracted, but eventually collects near the bottom seal.    Does anyone wipe down their jacks before retraction? 

IMG_8283.JPG

The above seal set is a list for AP2381 only with the oil fill plug on the bottom of the foot pad.  I am gathering the seal set information for the AP 2381 with the oil plug on the side.   

27 minutes ago, kev said:

The crud collected on by glove was not past the first seal inside the jack.  The tank oil was NOT contaminated.  This crud was collected after 32 years of use.  Jacks should ideally be wiped off before retracting the jack, to its storage position.   When the jack is out the residual oil on the chrome shaft attracts dirt.  The dirt will somewhat wipe off when retracted, but eventually collects near the bottom seal.    Does anyone wipe down their jacks before retraction? 

Yes, after being parked for a month or more and annually. HWH recommends spraying with WD40, wiping clean to remove dirt and any residue , then wiping with ATF on a rag, then wiping dry. HWH also says not to use anything else. WD40 is an excellent cleaner and solvent, but if allowed to dry, turns into a tacky coating..

Edited by rayin