mike2wheels

Adding a light to a circuit

This is in a 2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor.

There is a 12-volt circuit to the bathroom lights.  One circuit to two light switches; one switch for a single light fixture, the other switch to the two ceiling light fixtures.  All of these fixtures are the 18-inch florescent tube type that have been converted to LED tubes.

I added a motion sensing LED night light to this circuit by wiring the night light in parallel with the existing bathroom lights.  The night light is connected before the circuit reaches the two light switches.  All of the lights still work normally, including the night light, except for one annoying bit.  When the night light comes on, one tube in each ceiling fixture glows faintly.  Having this faint light in addition to the night light is not necessarily a bad thing.  But I think it means I have missed something with the wiring.  Should I remove the night light connection to the circuit negative wire and connect the night light to a common ground someplace?

Is it possible that one of the fixtures is reverse wired? Not all fixtures or RVs are consistent in colors to indicate positive or negative wire. Suggest you use a meter to check polarity of each fixture and connection. 

Edited by rossboyer