ssohles

Problems with Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) emissions system

Last year we experienced a Cummins engine "de-rate" event with our Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) emissions system. For those unfamiliar "de-rate" means eventually being limited to 5 miles per hour or less...and in consequence calling a towing service. 

We were much more fortunate than some experiencing such problems as software updates and recalibration of a pump component resolved our immediate issue, but now we approach each trip with apprehension and heightened anxiety. 

Last year FMCA undertook to survey Members on failure/repair issues associated with the DEF emissions system. Five months later no information has been released to Survey respondents, nor to the Membership.  

I did find the EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETING MINUTES of last December (12/2/2021) reported that "Linda Burdette, Chairman of the Governmental and Legislative Affairs Committee, provided an update on the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) issue. She stated that the committee is in the process of collecting data on issues that the members are having. A survey was sent out to 23,000 FMCA members who own a motorhome with a year of 2008 and later. Comments are being collected from the responses, and the survey data will be reviewed once the survey is completed. She reported that there are several theories about why the issues are happening. Once the data is analyzed, committee members can reach out to Cummins with details on the issues and try to negotiate a fix for the issues." 

Recently I asked Rett Porter, our FMCA President "Could the preliminary analysis, along with an updated plan of activity, be quickly distributed to members waiting for this information? Please consider posting on the FMCA website and notifying members how to access via email." 

Mr. Porter replied " Please be patient as I’m not going to release any information at this time." 

I think those of us with the risk/exposure to this issue deserve to be updated.   

I worry with every trip that my engine will "de-rate" again, and that we will be less fortunate than before and subject to a protracted and expensive repair.  

If you also are concerned please contact Mr. Porter at rporter@fmca.com.

Any information they would publish, assuming they ever will, is meaningless. Because FMCA is so tied up in their bureaucratic nonsense is likely the reason they can't or won't give you an answer.  At this time, I wouldn't put any stock in the information they published from a survey taken almost 9 months ago. 

Cummins has a software work around for some engines and are working on the remainder.

You do understand, the RV industry is just a minor participant in the DEF issues. Ask the large trucking companies how many trucks are parked in repair facilities waiting on parts. I find it amazing the Washington puzzle palace group hasn't used this as another excuse for the supply chain issues but of course it would backfire because its ultimately their fault - They are the reason we have to have DEF. 

Edited by elkhartjim

I also wonder about the status of the NHTSA  complaint group- filing. There is a work-around that appears to have the  blessing of NHTSA if a new replacement head is unavailable.

I'm just happy I drive this MH without the emissions stuff.

Edited by rayin

The problems are a big problem, reliability and available parts have become a huge issue.now there is a maintenance portion also that is missed more times than I can count in every industry.

DEF filter, they clog and will shut you down also, when they clog it stresses the pump assembly which leads to premature pump failure. I have a hard time saying “pre mature pump failure” in my opinion they fail prematurely when maintained properly, but in those cases they fail sooner.

The filter is located behind the DEF tank, often tucked up under the tank mounting bracket. Simple to replace once you remove all the steel containing it.