jforister

"Attempted" first use of FMCA Roadside Rescue!

Just a recount of my first experience with Roadside Rescue:  A couple weeks ago I curbed a curbside front wheel passing through a narrow toll gate.  The only damage other than my pride appeared to be a small scuff on the wheel.  We put the 2003 Beaver Monterey away in our shop/storage building and went on with life.  On 5/25/22 I noticed that the MH was down almost on the wheel rim and the tire bead was separated from the wheel. Closer inspection revealed that the TST Tire Pressure transmitter and valve stem were slightly displaced and scuffed.  I tried most of the tricks that I know to inflate the tire (with the exception of one that I have never used on a tire that large and was a little fearful of) so that the source of the leak could be determined for sure and repaired.  I also tried to remove the wheel so that I could take the pair to a tire shop.  No joy with the available tools.  I finally decided yesterday 5/26 to ask Roadside Rescue if they could send service to remove the wheel for me or at least inflate it so that I could drive to the tire shop.  At 09:57 I called and talked with the call screener and they asked many questions regarding membership and physical specifics of the vehicle and situation. They determined that the service was covered and that they would connect me with a "Roadside Connect" service scheduler.  Most of the questions were repeated with the exception of location, vehicle size etc.  About an hour and a half later a tech from "Mr. Quick Pick" out of Tulsa, OK  showed up in a minivan with a four-way and apologies for not being able to help with a large vehicle!  I called Roadside Rescue back and was connected with a different service scheduler.  They didn't ask as many questions as I suppose that the original ticket was still open.  They put me on hold for a good while.  When they came back on I was told that the service provider could not inflate the tire or remove a wheel and that they could only tow the MH to a service shop!  This was not an option due to building height and and a concrete drive not rated for a heavy rescue vehicle.   I then called a local truck shop, and one hour and $256 later the tire was inflated. I will monitor the leak situation and drive to a tire shop if necessary.  I will not being renewing the Roadside Rescue plan and will instead just pay for service that I schedule.

When did you last read the fine print in the contract you agreed to? Yes it is a contract with terms and conditions. ERS offered you a tow and you refused, that IMO terminated the claim.

If they sent the wrong provider and were unable to locate one capable, that is their lacking.

Virtually roadside assistance sellers require the operator to call around and locate the lowest bid for that particular assistance call among their list of providers.

Another item; The operator you speak with only knows to read what is on the monitor in front of them. If you  aren't satisfied, ask to speak with a supervisor, they do know their job.

It may not be too late, call again and request to speak with a supervisor, then ask how to submit a claim after the fact. Be sure to explain all the details with patience. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Had my first experience using FMCA Roadside Rescue last month.

Was at the end of 150 mile trip home from FMCA planning meeting.  Near my house made a turn onto street leading to house from a minor arterial.  Lost steering half-way through turn. (Later discovered pinion arm broke into two pieces.

Called Roadside Rescue.  Was told it would be at least two hours.  Dispatch person referred to me as a Good Sam customer at least times.  Police were present to direct traffic.  Police said move the moho ASAP. Couldn’t wait two hours.

Called a major local towing firm on my dime with trucks equipped to handle everything from cars to loaded log trucks.  Local company has office locations in 5 towns on coast. They promptly had the right truck with the right personnel and towed me the 4 miles to my local service garage.

What I have learned:

- Roadside Rescue will send the cheapest company.

- Service comes from a remote dispatch center that has no idea of local geography, distance, or travel times.

- Saferide dispatch center services many companies including Good Sam and many others.

- Company they recommended was unknown and coming from two towns away – about 60 miles.

- Failed to utilize a major company that was nearby with a 15 minute response time.

Saferide did reimburse me for the cost of the tow.

My FMCA Roadside Rescue plan runs out in February of 2023. I am being hit with renewal notices in October - four months ahead of the renewal date. 

As much as I am disappointed in how this claim was handled, I am not sure I would get better service from another provider.  Since FMCA, Good Sam, and others use the same Saferide dispatch center, the results would probably be the same.  Local company said it is difficult to deal with one of the dispatch companies because it is difficult for them to be paid for their services.

I did have Coach Net for many years and always had good service.  Their rate is very high now and I understand Coach Net founders left to form Saferide.

Most things are controlled by bean counters and they save a nickel and cost someone a dollar and piss them off in the meantime 

18 hours ago, zimmeral said:

.....My FMCA Roadside Rescue plan runs out in February of 2023. I am being hit with renewal notices in October - four months ahead of the renewal date....

My plan runs out in Jan, I got renewal paperwork as well.  In Jan 2000, I paid $222 for three years.  During that period I did not  use them.  The renewal rate is $159 a year or $477 for three years.  I'm looking else where.

Edited by five

As a follow up, Good Sam has a sale, 50% off for as many as five years,  on their Platinum Service....$80 for everything FMCA has for twice the price.