aztec7fan

good or bad idea to have special license for larger RVs?

I currently live in a state that does not require a special license for larger RVs (specifically, motorhomes over 26,000 lbs).  i know some states require a class A or B CDL for these vehicles.  Do you think these are good regulations, or not necessary?  If you have had to get one of these licenses, did it encourage you to operate your vehicle more safely?

I have a chance to mention this to my representative, but wanted to see if you folks feel laws like this are a good or bad idea.

thanks,

Chris g.

Actually it is a NON-CDL license,  a  true Commercial Drivers License and physical is only required when driving for profit or hire. That's how the guys who tow a 5er with a semi-tractor are handled. I really do think something more than a standard auto license should be required, especially for a diesel pusher with air brakes.

OTOH, I really don't like government continually digging deeper into my life.

Personally I think it is a good thing to have a separate class license for the larger vehicle.  In my state you have to take the written test and the driving test for anything over 26,001 pounds. Having had a CDL Class A, and now a Standard Class A I can say that there is a lot to be learned from studying and taking the test. It's not a car, it's a big vehicle and there are many differences in different situations.

I would suggest that in those states that a special license is not required that a driver of a big vehicle read the test section for the larger vehicle for at least educational information. 

Wondering if there's a factual or significant reason for requesting more regulatory control of this with obvious additional expenses rather than having elected politicians work on fixing items to benefit society? 

Absolutely I think that anyone driving a large vehicle and/or one with air brakes should have to at the very least pass a written test to demonstrate that they have enough knowledge to safely operate the vehicle.

Anyone watching an uninformed driver ask about 'pumping the brakes' should the air system start failing would understand that some people sitting behind the wheel of many large motor homes lack the most basic information which could save their lives as well as the lives of many around them.

Most states that require additional licensing for a larger motor home require a non-commercial Class B, but there are a few which actually require a CDL. I know because I lost a sale on my coach to a guy who lived in one of those states and didn't want the hassle of getting the CDL.

Minimum air brake ticket as it could be deadly not knowing how to safely use and maintain them  

On 5/29/2022 at 11:35 PM, bm02tj said:

Minimum air brake ticket as it could be deadly not knowing how to safely use and maintain them  

Seems like this could be done as an endorsement on a regular drivers license for those states that don't require a class B. I agree that this would be a minimum for those driving a vehicle with air brakes.

On 5/29/2022 at 8:40 PM, richard5933 said:

Absolutely I think that anyone driving a large vehicle and/or one with air brakes should have to at the very least pass a written test to demonstrate that they have enough knowledge to safely operate the vehicle.

Anyone watching an uninformed driver ask about 'pumping the brakes' should the air system start failing would understand that some people sitting behind the wheel of many large motor homes lack the most basic information which could save their lives as well as the lives of many around them.

Most states that require additional licensing for a larger motor home require a non-commercial Class B, but there are a few which actually require a CDL. I know because I lost a sale on my coach to a guy who lived in one of those states and didn't want the hassle of getting the CDL.

I totally agree Richard. There's a man on irv2.com who has owned/operated a DP for over 20  yrs according to him he's never performed an air brake check. crazy.

I have a Non-Commercial, Class B license in Texas.  My motorhome is 37,000 lbs.  I took a written test, an air brake test, and a driving test one task of which was to back up 100 feet.  Whoopie!  I would have been more impressed if I had to back up 100 feet, avoiding 5 dogs, a pick-up truck parked too close to the RV park road, and swing it into a 16 ft. wide spot between two enormous cypress trees, all while ignoring the 7 people waving their arms and trying to get me to do what they say.😆

I don't know if the requirement does much good but I suppose it might.  I do know there are hundreds of people driving a rig like mine who don't have the Class B, Non-Commercial.  I do hope they do an air brake test occasionally.

Don

Back in the 80's I did it with a 5th wheel. Exciting to say the least. That was for a CDL Class B License driving for the company I was working for. Class A CDL came later,

Stopped working and decided I did not need the CDL so converted it to a Class A License. Now-a-days the MH is 45K+ pounds.

On 9/21/2022 at 5:07 PM, akadeadeye said:

have a Non-Commercial, Class B license in Texas.  My motorhome is 37,000 lbs.  I took a written test, an air brake test, and a driving test one task of which was to back up 100 feet.  Whoopie!  I would have been more impressed if I had to back up 100 feet, avoiding 5 dogs, a pick-up truck parked too close to the RV park road, and swing it into a 16 ft. wide spot between two enormous cypress trees, all while ignoring the 7 people waving their arms and trying to get me to do what they say.😆

If there was a reality prize you would have won 😂