fagnaml

"Glitchy" Entry Door Awning

The wife and I spent this past Memorial Day 2022 weekend at the new "The Retreat RV and Camping Resort" on Lake Houston / Huffman, TX.  This new RV resorts is great for "campers" of all ages.    The weekend was going great until the entry door awning (Dometic Oasis brand) operation became "glitchy".   The awning extended flawlessly as usual.  Except when the wind got rather breezy Sunday afternoon, wanted to retract the awning.  When I push the "retract" button nothing happened -- no motor sound, no awning movement, just "dead".     Tried pushing the retract button a couple more times on Sunday afternoon and evening and still nothing.   When preparing to "pack-up" to head home yesterday (Monday) morning I had planned to back my Jeep to below the awning,  get on top of the Jeep and wire / duct tape the awning closed for the one hour drive from "The Retreat" to my home in Katy, TX (no I don't carry a ladder that can access the top edge of my motorhome).   

However, before moving my Jeep into position, I pressed the retract button one last time and "walla" everything worked as normal and the awning retracted.   I have absolutely now idea why the awning "worked" yesterday morning but was "dead" Sunday afternoon / evening.   I did check the blade fuse for the awning as it was OK.

Does the forum have any suggestions on diagnostics I should try to determine why my door awning was alive / dead / alive again?     Thanks for any help you can provide!

Not too good of a week end for you. Humidity now Awning. My thought is that when you work with the awning a loose wire may have made contact again. That is where I would start. Is the fuse for you awning a fuse or resettable breaker? Just throwing out ideas.

And again Good Luck,

Herman

FYI, over 80% of all 12V issues are the result of a poor/missing ground. Like Herman said, inspect all wiring connections for a clean solid contact. I've seen female blade contacts lose their spring tension, allowing a poor connection. In fact I had one last winter, step cover would not extend, I found a loose connection on the rocker switch.