fagnaml

Moisture in Dometic Multi-Zone Comfort Control Center

My other very usual experience from this past weekend's Memorial Day (2022) outing was moisture build-up in my Dometic Multi-Zone Comfort Control Center which looks like this --> Amazon.com: DOMETIC 3314082000 Thermostat : Automotive

Weather conditions this past weekend were typical southeast Texas for this time of year -- sunny, hot, a bit humid and a bit breezy.    A/C's were running continuously Friday and through Saturday morning with zero problems with both A/C's set at 72 F.   When the wife and I were leaving early Saturday afternoon for some sight seeing and beer tasting, I wanted to adjust the temperature setting to 74 F while we were away.  To my astonishment, there was moisture behind the "glass" of the controller which caused the digital readout to be garbled and there was no responsiveness from any controller buttons.   Luckily the A/C's did not shut off.   We delayed our sight-seeing / beer tasting and placed our 12" oscillating fan to blow directly on the controller with hopes of "drying it out" which after two hours the moisture was gone and the controller worked normally.   While the fan was blowing on the controller, I got on the roof of my coach to assure no condensate from the A/Cs was finding a way into the wall where the controller is mounted (which is the wall next to the entry door).   I found no cracks, gaps, etc. in any of the sealant areas on the roof.   The roof itself is in perfect condition.  My roof inspection suggests no water intrusion into wall and controller. 

My coach had sat in storage since late February until this past weekend in the usual very humid, quite warm southeast Texas weather conditions.   I do keep the large "bucket type" Damp Rid in the kitchen sink to help control moisture inside the coach while in storage.   To my surprise the bucket was fully saturated so I don't know for how long no moisture was being absorbed from the inside of the coach.    So, with no "humidity control" inside my coach for an unknown period of time, the Dometic controller was sitting in high humidity and perhaps "saturated with moisture" that then "condensed out" when the coach was cooled to 72 F on Friday night / Saturday morning?

If any forum members have this Dometic Mult-Zone Controller have you experienced moisture problems inside the controller?   For all forum members, does my "moisture saturated controller with condensation make sense"?     Given that the Controller is working without problems, I presume the condensation caused some electrical continuity problems in the controller?  

OR, it the controller simply "going bad" and I should order a new spare to have on hand.

Apologies for the lengthy post.   "Gremlins" were indeed present this past weekend....

I have two new Dometic A/Cs and two new thermostats, 10 button just like yours. I have had no such issues like you speak of. We have fairly high humidity but no where what your area has. My suggestion would be to call Dometic Teck Department. This may be a new one on them.

Good Luck,

Herman 

Herman --

Good suggestion!  I will call Dometic tech support and get their advice to share with the forum.  In the meantime I ordered and received a new "spare" climate control center from Amazon for $160 ($25-$45 cheaper than Camping World and other suppliers) as replacing the controller is a simple "plug and play" with a phone cord type plug-in on the back side of the controller.  

Controller Front.jpg

Contoller Back.jpg