smoke

Coach/House Disconnect Switch Not Working

PROBLEM ISSUE: The Coach/house disconnect toggle switch.

I have a 2012 Winnebago Journey 42e, MS2812 Magnum Inverter, 1200 amps of Lithium batteries, 1150 watts of solar with Victron MPPT charge controller and a B712 smart Victron Energy battery monitor.

·         Voltmeter reads batteries are charged to plus/minus 13.0 volts.  Solar and engine alternator   (while driving) are keeping batteries charged.

·         When motorhome engine is not running the Coach/house disconnect toggle switch is off when I push the switch to turn it on nothing happens (will not illuminate), and no electrical     power in the coach.

·         When I push the chassis disconnect switch, I hear a on/off switching noise in the rear of the coach but when I push the house disconnect switch I hear nothing.

·         When motorhome engine is started and running the coach/house disconnect switch comes on (illuminates without pushing switch) and everything electrical in coach works normal.  But after coach engine runs (driving down the road) for a while the switch will go off by itself then after about a minute (?) it like resets itself and comes back on again and everything electrical in coach works.  This happens continuously while driving.

·         When I plug into shore power (engine is off) only the 120-volt side of the house will work and the 12-volt side is dead.

·         Also, when I try starting the on-board generator, it will try to start then immediately shuts itself  off (with motorhome engine started/running or not running).  I checked generator braker, and everything seem ok.

·         I have checked all the fuses, and everything looks ok. 

·         Before all this happen all electrical items/system on coach worked as intended.  No problems.   

Does anyone have any suggestions to what is happening and what I need to do to resolve this problem?

Thanks for the help.

Rick J Frueh

Winconsin

Member F428160

Why do you turn the house disconnect switch off? It is my understanding on WB's that both switches need to be on to keep the batteries charged.  Once the house batteries are full the trickle charger will switch to the chassis batteries. 

Not a real answer to your particular problem, but, have you called Winnebago?

Edited by wayne77590

13 hours ago, smoke said:

Voltmeter reads batteries are charged to plus/minus 13.0 volts.  Solar and engine alternator   (while driving) are keeping batteries charged.

Just so you know 13.0 volts is a charging value. 12.7 is fully charged for a 12v battery.

13 hours ago, smoke said:

When I push the chassis disconnect switch, I hear a on/off switching noise in the rear of the coach but when I push the house disconnect switch I hear nothing.

.Sounds like a bad switch or bad connection. Time to use your meter and work back till you find power. Check your grounds to.

Bill