iggy

US Flag Etiquette for everyone to review

I didn't find any info about leaving your flag up and driving off to the next campground?! That didn't work out so well for us. Which one of you picked up or flad and ran iff? 🤣

It is to bad that Flag Etiquette is not Flag Law. Presently it is not enforceable.

However, with that said, my two pet peeve's are placement and ragged flags being displayed.

Placement being that the American Flag is always on its own right. that means if there is a wall, podium, etc behind it when looking at it it is on the left.  On a car, looking from the front, it is on the right fender. That is its own right.

Ragged doesn't need a description but in my MC days some of the MC members I rode with (MC being the two letters on the back of a vest or jacket) would stop when a ragged flag was flying and take it down for proper disposal.  Don't start with that stuff of a good way to get hurt. This was an MC - and don't mess with MC's. My riding days and colors were retired in 2007.

My pet peeve is when it is hung vertically on a wall, the stars are always in the upper left as seen by the viewer.  After 9/11, there were so many flags hung backwards, I made copies of flag etiquette and knocked on doors and gave them to the violators or put a copy around the door where they could find it.  Most were appreciative some wanted to argue.

Not covered in that link is a flag hanging on a wall vertically. Where does the stars go, upper left corner or upper right corner as looking at the flag?

Several years ago an acquaintance who was retired Army, was an OTR truck driver with a day-trip schedule. This one small town in ILL he passed through daily flew a flag above the police dept. He noticed it was ragged, so  stopped and told them it should be replaced. A week later he observed the ragged flag had not been replaced. He stopped his semi in the middle of the street in front of the police dept. walked over, lowered the flag and folded it, took it inside and asked to speak with the police dept. head. He handed him the flag and explained why he did that; returned to his truck and continued his trip. On his return through that town that evening he noticed a new flag flying.

He was a VN vet from !st CAV. Div. and somewhat crusty.

Edited by rayin

13 hours ago, rayin said:

....He was a VN vet from !st CAV. Div. and somewhat crusty....

The Cav will do that to you!😄