deanie8

Extreme hot weather travel

Does anyone have advice for traveling I-40 in temperatures over 100 degrees?  The recommended tire pressure on our 2021 Forester is 80 PSI, which we maintain,  and we tow a CRV.  The first leg of our route will be from Clines Corner to Amarillo.  Thank you.

Leave Clines Corner as early as you can. I know you will me going into the sun but it will be a lot cooler then later in the day. When we travel in hot weather we always put up a curtain behind the pilot and co-pilot's seats. It helps keep the cooler (dash air) from trying to cool the entire coach. About 30 minutes before we are planning on stopping for the night we crank up the generator and turn on the A/C units. Then you wont have to wait for cool air when you arrive at your destination.

Herman

Concerning tire pressure; check pressure before you start the engine each morning (assuming you've been parked at least 4 hrs., set to the federal tire placard if you do not have corner weights. That is good for the days travel, regardless of outside temperature.

reference: https://www.rvtiresafety.net/

Edited by rayin

On 6/12/2022 at 12:40 PM, deanie8 said:

Does anyone have advice for traveling I-40 in temperatures over 100 degrees?  The recommended tire pressure on our 2021 Forester is 80 PSI, which we maintain,  and we tow a CRV.  The first leg of our route will be from Clines Corner to Amarillo.  Thank you.

That is a long first day. Just drove from FW to Gatlinburg. We took or time and 3 days. 

Set/check your preshure in the morning then leave it alone unless it gets low. The tires are designed to handle any increase in preshure from heating.

Bill

On 6/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, deanie8 said:

That’s about the distance we travel a day, 220 to 250 miles. If you leave just at sun up, you’ll be there before noon and that’s with a stop for coffee and fuel at 65 mph.

and as others have said, set your tires at the pressure you normally run and you’ll be fine, enjoy your trip! If you have TPMS, don’t be surprised if you see tire temps and pressure rise.

Edited by campcop