phurth

TechConnect - unlock old hotspot device?

Hi! I have received my replacement AT&T hotspot device, and it's my understanding that I do not need to return the previous T-Mobile/Sprint hotspot. I have two questions I'm hoping someone here can answer:

1. Is it confirmed that the T-Mobile/Sprint hotspot does not need to be returned?
  2. If so, does anyone know if FMCA (or T-Mobile) can remove the carrier lock? My old device is carrier locked to T-Mobile but I'd like to use it with a different carrier as a backup.

Thanks!

Pete

So, got a somewhat unsatisfying response from TechConnect support

Because the device is a rental you can’t have it unlocked and switched back to T-Mobile.

If it's a rental, why don't I have to send it back? What does "switched back to T-Mobile" mean? It already is a T-Mobile device. I want to unlock it so I can use an AT&T or Verizon SIM in it. Locked to T-Mobile, it's a paperweight.

I do not think it will work on Verizon.  At least that is what a representative from Verizon told me. I just ordered the starlink for rv.  I already have the AT&T plan on my cell phones and ipad.  For the price that Verizon wanted it was almost as high as the starlink system.

Jaime

It turns out the M2000 is *not* carrier locked, according to TechConnect support. My Visible SIM doesn't work (shows as "invalid SIM"), but that must be something specific to Visible. I have an AT&T nano SIM on the way so I can give that a shot when it arrives.

On 6/17/2022 at 6:48 PM, phurth said:

It turns out the M2000 is *not* carrier locked, according to TechConnect support. My Visible SIM doesn't work (shows as "invalid SIM"), but that must be something specific to Visible. I have an AT&T nano SIM on the way so I can give that a shot when it arrives.

I have a Nano sim on the way also, I hope the M2000 works out better than the Moxee hotspot that I can only get 12MB max down and up with 4 bars. I have seen others saying that is the max they can get also and think we are being throttled by AT&T with this plan.

So, I got my nano SIM today. Haven't been able to get ahold of TC yet to have it activated, however it still throws an "Invalid SIM" error on the M2000 (not "No Service" as I would expect and as it does on the Moxee). The only SIMs that haven't thrown that error are the original Sprint SIM and the replacement T-Mobile SIM. I tried the new AT&T as well as a Visible and an old Verizon SIM I had lying around. Each one of them is invalid. Not sure I believe the device is not carrier locked, or maybe there's some other explanation for why only Sprint and TMo SIMs seem to not throw an error.

Either way, it makes sense that there's be a 12 Mbs limit if that's what AT&T's business plans are limited to, since that's basically what this is, if I understand correctly.

Yep, very disappointed in the AT&T Moxie hotspot. I got two years use of the Sprint M800 hotspot and didn’t realize how great it was until now. I think the FMCA AT&T plan is soon going the be history for me. I will go to the Visible (Verizon) with party pay for $25.00 month, I have seen better results with it using the SIM in an old iPhone. I see where AT&T may offer FMCA more speed for an additional cost. 

On 6/17/2022 at 5:48 PM, phurth said:

According to all the information from 'Visible Wireless', they are an 'APP', not a cell carrier. The app runs on the cell phone and that allows the completely unlimited data even when tethered or used as a hotspot from the cell phone only. That said, we have a WiFi booster/router that we connect to the Visible Wireless cell phone and then connect all our other devices to that router on our private network for 24/7/365 full time internet throughout our RV.

On 8/20/2022 at 1:34 PM, dajolo said:

According to all the information from 'Visible Wireless', they are an 'APP', not a cell carrier. The app runs on the cell phone and that allows the completely unlimited data even when tethered or used as a hotspot from the cell phone only. That said, we have a WiFi booster/router that we connect to the Visible Wireless cell phone and then connect all our other devices to that router on our private network for 24/7/365 full time internet throughout our RV.

I use my Visible SIM in a Pepwave router without issue, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't work in an unlocked M2000 hotspot, but I've moved on (to the Pepwave). For what it's worth, despite the cost, the Pepwave hardware is worth every penny. Between the Visible SIM and the FMCA AT&T SIM, it's a pretty cost-effective solution for more-or-less unlimited data.

Wishing i had my old T- mobile tech connect still. Worked wonderfully out west this past winter. Struggling to find a quality replacement. Guess i'll try visible next. Upped my hotspot on T- mobile phone to 50 GB for starters.  

I went and bought a used Netgear 815S hotspot so that I can have both 2.4 and 5GHz.  And kudos to the TC crew for providing me a nano SD.  While I appreciate the TechConnect benefit from FMCA, I think the AT&T deal is just a rotten deal all around.  To be pushing out a hotspot that is 2.4GHz only is pretty bad.  But to up the price and throttle it just seems like a poor choice.  I too would love to return the program to T-Mobile.  And I say that as an AT&T Prepaid customer for at least a decade.

Edited by baumzuchter