chichimama

At&t Plan not what it seems

I just got the sim for the Tech Connect+ At&t plan and tossed the Moxie junk in a box. Hooked up a top of the line MOFI5500-5GXeLTE-EM9191 with a CAT 20 LTE modem and 5G support and got the sim activated. First boot it does 12Mb down and 12Mb up. Ok so I do selective bandlocking and disable the bands with low connection strength. Same speeds.

Next I hop in my truck and run the router off a solar generator and drive 40 miles looking for towers. 12Mb down and 12Mb up no matter where I go even 50ft next to a tower. I even drove to a tower in a college parking lot, the speed will surge to 50Mb then immediately drop to 12Mb.

At&t is throttling the speed on this plan, it doesn't matter how good your device is.

I am not sure how much you need. I am in the mountains and get 7mb down and I can stream different movies on different tvs simultaneously. So 12 is not a good thing? What can you not do with 12? Its a mifi, not cabled internet

15 hours ago, chichimama said:

I just got the sim for the Tech Connect+ At&t plan and tossed the Moxie junk in a box. Hooked up a top of the line MOFI5500-5GXeLTE-EM9191 with a CAT 20 LTE modem and 5G support and got the sim activated. First boot it does 12Mb down and 12Mb up. Ok so I do selective bandlocking and disable the bands with low connection strength. Same speeds.

Next I hop in my truck and run the router off a solar generator and drive 40 miles looking for towers. 12Mb down and 12Mb up no matter where I go even 50ft next to a tower. I even drove to a tower in a college parking lot, the speed will surge to 50Mb then immediately drop to 12Mb.

At&t is throttling the speed on this plan, it doesn't matter how good your device is.

One of the fellow campers got the AT&T Sim from FMCA and was getting the same results as you.  We stood side by side and run Speed Test on AT&T phone I was getting around 50 and his Speed Test would jump to around 40 then stabilize  at 12.   Just for reference I'm getting around 80 to 90 on my grandfathered Version plan which is rare these days.  My Calyx T-Mobile plan is getting between 350 and 400.  I have only used the service west of the Mississippi and the T_Mobile plan (either FMCA or Calyx) have been faster than Verizon or AT&T.  

Edited by cwswine

4 hours ago, cwswine said:

One of the fellow campers got the AT&T Sim from FMCA and was getting the same results as you.  We stood side by side and run Speed Test on AT&T phone I was getting around 50 and his Speed Test would jump to around 40 then stabilize  at 12.   Just for reference I'm getting around 80 to 90 on my grandfathered Version plan which is rare these days.  My Calyx T-Mobile plan is getting between 350 and 400.  I have only used the service west of the Mississippi and the T_Mobile plan (either FMCA or Calyx) have been faster than Verizon or AT&T.  

Can you share a link to which speed test you are using?  Thanks

Edited by Jcapps

I am only getting 12Mb max with 4 bars on the Moxee, once I get the sim for my M2000 I will see if it is any better. If not I maybe reconsidering canceling this plan and going elsewhere. Love the T-Mobile service and never had a issue with it on my Mifi8000. Using Ookla speed test on my phone.

3 hours ago, Jcapps said:

Can you share a link to which speed test you are using?  Thanks

I use several but the quick and easy ones is Speedtest.net and speedof.me 

On 6/19/2022 at 6:07 AM, Jcapps said:

I am not sure how much you need. I am in the mountains and get 7mb down and I can stream different movies on different tvs simultaneously. So 12 is not a good thing? What can you not do with 12? Its a mifi, not cabled internet

I think the point is that we are paying more now for slower speeds than promised on an outdated modem. If I spend $1k on a trip of the line modem I'll still only get 12 mb/s.  Not sure what resolution you're streaming movies on but 12 mbs won't cut it for 4k or 3ven 1080p movies 

If money is no object, the FMCA TechConnect plan is not for you.  I'd recommend you buy service from every carrier so you can cover all the bases.

All I need is decent speed wherever I'm parked.  I've had many disappointments with speeds that couldn't move the Speedtest needle off "0".  I wish I didn't have to cancel my planned trip this week so I haven't been able to try again.  I'd be tickled with 12Mb speeds.

Edited by moonwink

Here is the latest report from Chris Smith on transfers from T-Mobile to AT&T.

Mon, Jun 20 at 4:01 PM

1952 Filled out form

1735 Migrated

132   New Joins

89% retention rate.

Another reminder email will go out tomorrow letting users know that T-Mobile/Sprint will be shut off 6/30/22. That should give us a boost in numbers.

Chris Smith

Chief Executive Officer, www.fmca.com

513-388-5217

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fmca.com%2Fimages%2FFMCABlockLetterLogo.png&t=1655803469&ymreqid=ba8ff42e-3444-38e4-1ca1-790001014400&sig=qFbHzTWkP8kXjumepc4f6w--~D

FaceBook  Twitter  YouTube  Instagram  Pinterest

Edited by hermanmullins

19 hours ago, C-923954 said:

I think the point is that we are paying more now for slower speeds than promised on an outdated modem. If I spend $1k on a trip of the line modem I'll still only get 12 mb/s.  Not sure what resolution you're streaming movies on but 12 mbs won't cut it for 4k or 3ven 1080p movies 

Just talk with another person with the FMCA AT&T plan running in a Pepwave and only get 12Mbps.  Just seems odd that people on here and other forums are getting the max of 12Mbps in different locations.

Moonwink 

Here is the speeds required for streaming

• SD (480p): 3+ Mbps
  • HD (720–1080p): 5–13+ Mbps
  • 4K (UHD, 2160p): 16–25 MbpsI 

The 12 mb will work fine with a HD TV and is useable but not others..  

If it is true that this is AT&T business plan that has a 12MB cap then FMCA should be up front and says so.  But here is what they posted on the website

"After 75GB, you still get unlimited LTE data but may at times notice reduced speeds in areas with network congestion. At AT&T unlimited is truly unlimited. No overages or data caps apply on their network. Data prioritization will only be noticeable when you access a congested tower and have used over 75GB of data in a particular billing cycle. You will continue to get unlimited high-speed data on your mobile hotspot when you aren’t accessing a congested tower. In that way it’s different from data throttling, which slows you down for the remainder of your bill cycle regardless of network conditions, all the time. Their policy is also in line with common industry standards for network management, which are designed optimize network performance and service."

On 6/20/2022 at 6:06 PM, moonwink said:

If money is no object, the FMCA TechConnect plan is not for you.  I'd recommend you buy service from every carrier so you can cover all the bases.

All I need is decent speed wherever I'm parked.  I've had many disappointments with speeds that couldn't move the Speedtest needle off "0".  I wish I didn't have to cancel my planned trip this week so I haven't been able to try again.  I'd be tickled with 12Mb speeds.

Im not sure what you meant my 'money is not object" because there are cheaper plans out there.   The FMCA plan its 719.88 per year which is more than the 5g plan the second year.

Edited by hermanmullins
Removed the Advertisement

16 hours ago, cwswine said:

I

Then go with them and quit ragging on this forum about the FMCA plan.  Are you getting a commission and extra T-shirts for those you move over to Calyx?

Edited by hermanmullins
Removed the Advertisement

Honestly you can’t deny the service from AT&T is vastly inferior. When I had the Sprint Inseego I got 100-200 mbps and 5G. We went to TMobile and it dropped to 40-50 but I didn’t notice much drop in service. I could still stream Netflix and surf the web. With the new AT&T service I get 8-12 mbps and I can no longer stream Netflix - message says I don’t have high speed internet and my speed doesn’t support streaming. AT&T is taking advantage of FMCA members. You can buy a prepaid AT&T plan for 5 G, 100 GB a month for $50. Search the web and see. So all the emotion above is misdirected, fellow members aren’t the issue, a bad deal from AT&T is. And I’m putting my money where my mouth is and canceling my Tech Connect service. It’s pains me to do so because I believe FMCA has our best interest at heart. But AT&T is selling us an inferior service and I won’t be taken advantage of.

1 hour ago, Mkniz said:

Honestly you can’t deny the service from AT&T is vastly inferior. When I had the Sprint Inseego I got 100-200 mbps and 5G. We went to TMobile and it dropped to 40-50 but I didn’t notice much drop in service. I could still stream Netflix and surf the web. With the new AT&T service I get 8-12 mbps and I can no longer stream Netflix - message says I don’t have high speed internet and my speed doesn’t support streaming. AT&T is taking advantage of FMCA members. You can buy a prepaid AT&T plan for 5 G, 100 GB a month for $50. Search the web and see. So all the emotion above is misdirected, fellow members aren’t the issue, a bad deal from AT&T is. And I’m putting my money where my mouth is and canceling my Tech Connect service. It’s pains me to do so because I believe FMCA has our best interest at heart. But AT&T is selling us an inferior service and I won’t be taken advantage of.

Well said.  Nobody is trying to sell another plan.  Our complaint is we are not getting what we were sold UNCAPPED data.

3 hours ago, moonwink said:

Then go with them and quit ragging on this forum about the FMCA plan.  Are you getting a commission and extra T-shirts for those you move over to Calyx?

The only thing I getting from Calyx is great service and the truth unlike FMCA Tech Connect.

If this bickering continues I will shut this Topic down. I should have done it when the big advertisement by cwswine. I have gone back and removed the ad.

Herman 

FMCA Forum Monitor

Instead of shutting this down, it would be more helpful if someone from FMCA would offer a response. Clearly there is a problem with the AT&T “service”. Does FMCA care, are they looking into it, do they have any comment or advice? Any comment at all related to this? That would go a long way to reducing the bickering and complaints.  I’ve turned in a help desk ticket and got zero response or “help”.

I understand the help desk is down in staffing due to some illnesses and we wish them the best getting back to normal.  In the mean time, I agree with Mkniz, just a little feedback would be helpful.  For example, I’ve left 2 messages and put in 2 tickets, I have no idea if they are in a queue or what.  In the mean time, AT&T has shut off my account and I have no service.  They say only an authorized account holder can fix or something.  Probably my fault why it happened but it’s been since Friday.

I’m sure things will get better when the staff is back to full strength.  Until then, patiently waiting….

Mark

I talked to someone at Techconnect today and he told me he has heard of reports of 25 to 30 Mbs, I told him I was only getting 12 Mbs max on my Moxee and others reporting the same. He had no response to that.

I would have been happy to get 12 Mbps on the T-mobile device. 
I tested the T-mobile speed with Fast.com and get around 3 Mbps download. Interestingly when I test with speedtest.net I get 25 -30 Mbps download. Some references say that Fast.com tests video download speeds since it is a Netflix website.  I never could get faster results on fast.com. 

I don't have the AT&T hotspot yet; it would be interesting if someone would test it on fast.com. 

On 6/23/2022 at 12:19 AM, Mkniz said:

Just tested my AT&T hotspot on Fast.com as Willbeeind suggested. 4.2 Mbps. Ran it twice. 

Just tested both ATT and Calyx at my current location in the mountains. 

ATT average 3.9

Calyx average 1.9

Just adding my experience so far with new Tech Connect ATT plan is also 12mb.  It doesn’t matter location or deceive.  I have a separate ATT data only plan with 5x better speeds in same locations and same hardware.  If given the option I would gladly pay more for FMCA to switch back to TMobile unlimited if this is the expected experience.  😢

Edited by odocamper
Added comment for T-Mobile.

5 hours ago, odocamper said:

Just adding my experience so far with new Tech Connect ATT plan is also 12mb.  It doesn’t matter location or deceive.  I have a separate ATT data only plan with 5x better speeds in same locations and same hardware.  😢

I would NOT be upset as long as FMCA would would NOT advertise it as "Uncapped and Unlimited" since it seems that people on here and other forums are see that it is data cap of 12mb.  Why should I have to order it and find out after it arrives it doesn't fit my needs.  The 12mb will fit a lot people requirements and it great deal even at 59.99 as long as it truly unlimited just does not meet my data requirements.