Sign in to follow this  
tbutler

Is anyone familiar with Easy Water Water Softener

I have seen advertisements for Easy Water water softeners that don't use salt or add sodium to the water. Their web site easywater.com gives some information but the scientist in me says it sounds like hokum! The unit for this water softener is a small box, works on 120 VAC, and has a sleeve that fits on the incoming water line. It works with plastic as well as copper water lines. On the surface it looks ideal for motor homes. It takes little room, weighs very little and not having to use salt or chemicals to process the water are all positives.

My question, does it really work? They claim the system realigns the mineral molecules in the water so they won't precipitate out in your hot water heater or affect the soap in your shower or washer. I haven't found any independent evaluation of this water softening system. If you have seen an independent evaluation or have experience with this system either in your motor home or in your home, I would like to hear from you about your experience.

Tom, I would be really skeptical since the typical way water softeners work is by ionic action (the exchange of electrons) or by osmotic pressure (water molecule through a membrane leaving behind impurities). I have seen adds for magnetic water softeners but kind of scratch my head when it comes to them. Is this Easy system one of the magnetic thingies? If I remember right, calcium, one of the most common water hardening elements is non magnetic. Let us know what you find out. By the way, what does this thing cost? I've got a great idea. :) Why don't you approach FMCA, have them buy one and let you field test it. :rolleyes: That would make a great article for the magazine and might generate some interest in the forum.

As I understand this system it works on an ionic basis, not magnetic though as I said, it seems like hokum to me. I like the suggestion of FMCA purchasing one for me to try. I think I'll try to get Easy Water to give me one to try as a way into this market! Why should FMCA put up the money to have their product tested? Good suggestion. I'll let you know how it goes.

as the grandson of the culligan man here in ne tenn and sw va, se ky, i guess i better stick with the culligan system my grandfather had made. he took a full size tank with the pellets in it and had it cut down to about 3 ft tall. it uses the reverse osmosis with the salt/brine solution. it takes me about 30 min to "run the softner" and then we have wonderful clean tasting water no matter where we go. dad passed this down to me after he got a new system for his bluebird, its not culligan but it works well also and is easier for him to "run".

steve sandidge

camping world rv univ

class 54

91 rambler imperial

Tom: I spent about 25 years in the Industrial Water Treatment business. I saw many gimics come and go. This is snake oil in a different package. Unless you just have a lot of time to waste, don't bother researching this any further. As a rule, if a water treatment device's manufacturer can't explain the technology in commonly accepted scientific terms (beware references to 'mollifying' the electrons and such) it's bogus. Usually, the 120v power is to light up some LED's that make you think something is really happening.

Believe it or not, the first restraining order against marketing these things was issued in the early 1900's, back when people were convinced electricity and/or magnetism could cure every disease.