kev

Radiant Heat Floor

During Covid lockdown I was not using my Motor Home.  I installed radiant heat flooring.  It took about 10 months to complete.  Here is what is under my floor. 

After some personal help with the information technology department, we discovered that the Epic Browser based on Chrome will not let the pictures load.  After switching to Microsoft Edge I was able to post the above pictures.  If anyone would like to see more pictures I will post more pictures.  

Off topic, .....If using Microsoft Edge browser is useful information, a moderator could post this tip where needed.    

Thank you wildebil308 and erniee for the recognition.  I did not think it was going to be that  challenging.  I have it in my home but there are no space restrictions.  The motor home presented an engineering challenge with space restrictions. 

A little bit about my floor heat:

The engine hot water tank heats the domestic hot water with a heat exchanger.  The domestic hot water heats the floor with a flat plate heat exchanger.  The liquid is moved with 1 amp 12 volt wet rotor pumps. When parked the the domestic hot water is heated by shore power and/or propane.   

11 hours ago, kev said:

....A little bit about my floor heat:

The engine hot water tank heats the domestic hot water with a heat exchanger.  The domestic hot water heats the floor with a flat plate heat exchanger.  The liquid is moved with 1 amp 12 volt wet rotor pumps. When parked the the domestic hot water is heated by shore power and/or propane. ...  

Interesting, we have an Aqua Hot, it's all electric...and would never have another MH without some type floor heat.

Edited by five

13 hours ago, five said:

Interesting, we have an Aqua Hot, it's all electric...and would never have another MH without some type floor heat.

What model Aqua Hot is that? There was someone looking for one that was all electric. 

I like my Oasis. I don't have in floor heat but my floors stay warm because the heat blows out across them and the basement is heated. We haven't been any place super cold and don't plan on going.  😁

Bill

8 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

What model Aqua Hot is that? There was someone looking for one that was all electric. 

I like my Oasis. I don't have in floor heat but my floors stay warm because the heat blows out across them and the basement is heated. We haven't been any place super cold and don't plan on going.  😁

Bill

Mine is a 450D...the "D" means it has the feature to make hot water automatically when the engine is running, the 450 cannot do that.  The only problem I have is that this model cannot run the coach heat and the hot water simultaneously.   Hot water out ranks coach heat, so if the heat is on and you turn on the hot water, the coach heat goes off until the call for hot water stops.  The AH600 as two heating elements and can operate both coach heat and floor heat.  The 450D is easy to work around, timing showers requiring and the requirement for coach heat.

20 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

some type floor heat

The reason I took the time to install radiant liquid  heat is because I did not like the electric current constantly under my feet and contained by an aluminum box.  My coach is all aluminum.   I got rid of my water bed heater years ago so I was not sleeping on an electric current. 

12 hours ago, five said:

cannot run the coach heat and the hot water simultaneously

I have the same usage restriction.  I need to turn off the pump in the floor when I want a hot shower.  The floor does retain enough heat while using  hot water for a shower.    

16 hours ago, five said:

Mine is a 450D...the "D" means it has the feature to make hot water automatically when the engine is running, the 450 cannot do that.  The only problem I have is that this model cannot run the coach heat and the hot water simultaneously.   Hot water out ranks coach heat, so if the heat is on and you turn on the hot water, the coach heat goes off until the call for hot water stops.  The AH600 as two heating elements and can operate both coach heat and floor heat.  The 450D is easy to work around, timing showers requiring and the requirement for coach heat.

Why don't you use the diesel burner when  you have a  extra need for hot water/coach heat? 

Bill

8 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Why don't you use the diesel burner when  you have a  extra need for hot water/coach heat? 

Bill

Doesn't make any difference, it will not run both at the same time....have to up grade to an AH 600 to run hot water and coach heat together.

1 hour ago, five said:

Doesn't make any difference, it will not run both at the same time....have to up grade to an AH 600 to run hot water and coach heat together.

I was talking about maintaining coach heat and having unlimited hot water when called for.

Interesting because in the owners manual on page 6 it states "The 450D has multiple heating sources: the motor home’s engine’s surplus heat (while driving), one 120V AC - 1650W
Electric Element (when plugged into shore power), and a 12V DC powered diesel burner (when dry camping). These heat sources can be used separately or simultaneously." Frome https://www.aquahot.com/Library.aspx

However you are correct that it only heats the coach when you arn't asking for hot water at the shower or sink. I think that is to prevent burns by controlling the water temp. 

I am glad I have my Oasis.

Bill

It is a great heating system.  There are vents through out the coach, just like a stick house, plus you can select which part of the coach you want heated.  On my coach I can heat the front and back separately or together.