FloridaSon

Where do you go to escape the Florida heat? North Ga, North Carolina?

Hello everyone,

We are trying to get out of the Florida Heat and wondered if you can recommend anywhere in Ga or NC or nearby that is cooler at least at night. I imagine this is related to altitude but unsure of where that cool line starts in the mountains.

Also first time driving in mountains as I was born a ‘flatlander’. 

KSDP 3412 with Jeep toad 

thank you

We live on the Gulf Coast of Texas. For several years we have tried to escape the summer heat. We are near the same latitude as Orlando, FL.

With that said, this will be our 4th trip to Shipshewana, IN.  Not NC or GA and about 1200 miles for us.  Google is your friend. Pick a location and query Google for weather in that area. But remember that weather patterns do change. Last time in Shipshewana the temperatures were in the high 80's during the day, however in the evenings we had an outside fire and light jackets on.  I'll take that over mid 80's temperatures in the evening here in TX with humidity close to the temperature.

We will be in Shipshewana from August 1st through Sep 7th. Come on down.

I use https://weatherspark.com/  to learn what the historical weather is for a location. I use https://preview.weather.gov/edd/  to see what the weather will be along my driving route.

Wayne, it looks like we will not be going anywhere this summer, and perhaps fall. The body shop and ins. company seem to be in no rush to repair or total our MH, no decision on that yet. The body shop is searching for used front caps though, so they say.

54 minutes ago, rayin said:

I use https://weatherspark.com/  to learn what the historical weather is for a location. I use https://preview.weather.gov/edd/  to see what the weather will be along my driving route.

Wayne, it looks like we will not be going anywhere this summer, and perhaps fall. The body shop and ins. company seem to be in no rush to repair or total our MH, no decision on that yet. The body shop is searching for used front caps though, so they say.

Good information Ray. Sorry to hear they are dragging their feet.

FloridaSon, welcome to the forum. Other than going up in the mountains there isn't much you can do. Well you can go to the beach near a large body of water fresh (great Lakes) or salt. I was on the west coast (San Diego Bay) it was a little early in the season but inland was in the 80s but it was realey brisk on the bay. 

I have been as far north as you can go on the east coast, Eastport Maine last week and we still had some days in the mid 80s. Now in Free Port Maine. It was 83 today but will cool off to about 56 over night. Still better than the 100 at home.😁

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

Yep, done the Left Coast about 4 times from San Diego to Whidbey IS.  Temperatures on the Left Coast are typically mild, like mid 70's and especially the further North one goes. Lived in New England the first 19 years of my life, but it was an accident of birth. Left as soon as I could. Weather up there was iffy. Some times during the summer the humidity would be real high, like in the 60's. Ha, not like here on the Texas Coast where Humidity gets into the 80's.

Your post seems to indicate that you want to stay relatively close to home so the mountains with elevation would be the better choice.

As for driving in the mountains, watch you temperature gauge and as it starts to climb above 205 or so, down shift and keep the RPM's are around 2000. I've been up a few mountains at 25 mph but never had an engine overheat.

Good luck and happy trails.

13 hours ago, rayin said:

Sorry to hear that Ray. The rule of our MH is; drinks for 6, dinner for 4 and sleeps 2 so you will have to get a motel room. There is a nice one right next to the CG. Probably cost as much as the CG so come on down.

Floridason, where are you in Florida? Head to the coast, especially the East coast, always a breeze, so far SE Florida is much more comfortable than SE Pennsylvania where we came from. Granted we are only 10 miles inland from the beach. We learned years ago, inland Florida is no place to be from May to November, no air movement and miserable. We would drive to Florida 3-4 times a year before we moved here, loved being outdoors, when we got home to PA I wouldn’t come out of the house, too darn muggy and hot! 
Mountains of NC, might be decent otherwise Maine, UP Michigan or New Mexico. Hopefully you can handle mountains, my wife cannot go above 5000 feet for any length of time (altitude sickness). We loved New Mexico but it almost killed my wife. 

In late May to early June we stayed 5 nights at River Vista Campground in Dillard, GA.  It was a really nice campground and very relaxing.  Up in the mountains too.  The Dillard House restaurant was really nice too.

River Vista Campground

THANKS everyone! I appreciate the answers, experience and suggestions. 

Heres the update: We live on the SE coast of Florida and for years before RV’ing drove to NC mountains. So we did that again, while home low temps were around 75, the NC mountains were around 55! So that worked out.

Thank you for the mountain driving tips, we have the 3000 Allison and going up gave me a chance to learn it. Florida being mostly flat and all. 

Had a great trip, toured Savannah on the way up which was not too hot, stayed at a great campground/horse farm/wedding destination. And a remote lake at Lake Greenwood. 

Thank you all!