fountaindavid.jean

2002 Monaco Diplomat Dies Traveling Down Interstate

I have posted this question in other Forums, but no one has experienced the same problem, or has been able to provide a viable solution  so far. But,  my dash goes dark, RPMs go to zero, tranny panel dark as well, and I find myself coasting along with a dead engine. I guide the coach to the emergency lane. It sits about  2 and 1/2 hours, and we are ready to go again. This problem has existed since July 2018. I replace a few parts and the Coach will run for about 3,000 miles before it starts acting up again. My primary question is....if the ECM were to be the culprit, would it cut the power off to the dash as well as killing the engine? Cummins Repair Shop doesn't seem to think it will on a Motor Home. In fact they don't think it is the ECM. Any experience out there with this type of shutdown?

I may not be correct, but that sounds a lot like a groung problem. Look around the ECM for a bunch of wires going to ground and try cleaning the connection(s).

Thanks for your comments, but my question is...., if the ECM was to get hot and shut the MH down, do you think the dash would also lose power? Cummins thinks not. See initial post above. I have checked and cleaned all grounds that I could find. Thus I am looking at around/ECM as a possible failure point. Thanks.

Check your ignition solenoid. It powers up all 12 volt chassis systems. It is a common failure point. On your coach it may be in the front run bay. It is a continuous duty 85 amp solenoid. Looks like this,  https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-24059-BP-Insulated-Continuous/dp/B0064MX7US/ref=asc_df_B0064MX7US/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312634019511&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2522001020076459972&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029187&hvtargid=pla-434876528814&psc=1  If it has a diode on the two small terminals, be sure to reinstall the same way it came off. Hope this helps.

Dash is totally dark. Seems to be associated with the ignition switch. However, the A/C heater fan will continue to run. As far as I can tell looking at the wiring diagram, the Ignition switch controls all of the guages on the same circuit.

As Frank suggested above about the Starter/Ignition Solenoid, I suppose I could remove the power coming to the Solenoid, which is in the rear of the Coach. That might tell me if the potential problem is in the rear of the Coach or the front electrical control panel.

For MY MH; I had a very similar problem some years ago. To cut this short the problem was a loose retaining nut on the main cable distribution block on the firewall that supplied power to the entire cockpit area. The cable made contact enough to start the engine when the loose connection cooled off, but when it heated back up it lost contact.

It cost Good Sam ERS approx. $2K for the roadside mechanic to find that loose nut on the positive cable to the distribution block; it cost me a $20 tip to the mechanic.

The only thing that I can find in the front electrical panel is....when you open the compartment door, you can smell an electrical burnt smell every so lightly. It's the same smell when it shuts down. I have not been able to find any component that smells it has been hot. Even the circuit breakers that I have replaced that seem to make the coach run for increased milage don't smell burned. Any other thoughts I might pursue in the compartment? The lug you had a problem with on your coach seems to be tight, But, I will reloosen and tighten again to be sure. Thanks for your help.

Edited by fountaindavid.jean
spelling, clarification

Coming back again with another hopeful report/update. As I have posted on other forums...seems that Monaco's Box 2 below drivers seat, outside compartment, contains a separate ignition relay. I found by accident that this relay was apparently shorting out through maybe the coil, and was causing a disconnect in the ignition system. This relay had never been hot during a shut down, and therefore I didn't suspect a problem with it( relay pins had been cleaned as well) . After replacing the relay, I have made a 1000 mile round trip with out issue. I have never seen a relay do that. Either they work or they don't. Just reporting my experience in hopes of helping others with similar coach problems. FWIW.