I just bought a Leprechaun 260DS and the instrucitons sday do not sleep in the RV with he generator running due to carbon monoxide danger..  This precludes running the A/C at night, thus trying to sleep in 90- degree coach.  "Can I run a hose from the generator exhaust to keep monoxide away?

Perhaps this is where lawyers get involved and play CYA??

I'd suggest making sure that you have a good carbon monoxide monitor/detector/alarm. But I don't know your RV and only you can say for sure what's the best plan for you and how things are situated.

I suspect you are right about the lawyers.  It does have a good carbon monoxide detector, and the exhaust for the generator is about a 1" dia pipe that I think I could attach an acceptable hose of some sort to to run it 15-20 ft away, which should solve the problem.

if you are worried about your generator's exhaust, get one of these RV Generator Exhaust Extensions. Available on Amazon.

Gen Exhaust_.jpg

I bought the exhaust extension, only to discover when I prepared to install it that when it is in position, the top of the extension ends up about a foot above the top of the RV and about 6 ft from the intake for our A/C.  Am I not just piping the exhaust into the A/C?

Your ac should not be drawing in air from the outside, but maybe some do.  The vents can bring in outside air. I have boondocked at 90°. I lower the temp for about an hour before bedtime, then turn off. It does get warmer during the night, but not uncomfortable. May not work for every RV depending on insulation and double pane windows. 

One last question - we are in Florida where we get extremely heavy rains.  If the extension is on and the generator is not running will all that water down the pipe hurt the generator.  Or if it is running will it shut it down or damage it?

There have been documented cases where the RVers forgot to close their vent which allowed CO to enter RV from the tall stacks. If you would like to try an extension to direct the exhaust to the ground and away from RV, go to any muffler shop. They can make an extension to fit your generator exhaust pipe. I had one made in two 6 foot pieces, so I could place in storage bin on generator side. One slipped over the exhaust pipe and the  second slipped over the end of first pipe. Only about 6 inches of the ends are slip fit. Make sure they don’t make the fit too tight or you may not get them apart. I used two bricks to lift the end, so anything on ground would not catch fire. 

Edited by rossboyer

On 8/18/2022 at 6:43 AM, jmansur said:

I bought the exhaust extension, only to discover when I prepared to install it that when it is in position, the top of the extension ends up about a foot above the top of the RV and about 6 ft from the intake for our A/C.  Am I not just piping the exhaust into the A/C?

Hear is what I would do. Get a new Co detector and run some test before you sleep in it. 

I will bet all manufactuers have some kind of CYA legal statement in their manuals. 

Bill

I have been warned that just adding a length of pipe to the exhaust to get it away from the coach would affect the back pressure and possibly damage the generator engine...?

1 hour ago, jmansur said:

I have been warned that just adding a length of pipe to the exhaust to get it away from the coach would affect the back pressure and possibly damage the generator engine...?

That is true. That is why the system shown in ianbullock's  post is made with a gap to prevent back preshure. 

Bill

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

I have not experienced any problems with three different generators: gasoline, LP and diesel. But I use the extension infrequently. 

I agree. Ross you made me think, I never got a replacement part that goes on the generator exhaust for this RV. That and the stick on attach points. We bought one because it was required to go to this rally at Moody Beach RV Campground 266 Post Rd, Wells, ME. Checked Google and that was 9 years ago already. Maybe it is time but we seldom dry camp and I trust my system if I do run the generator.

Bill

My question about rain  still stands.  There is a gap, but rain falling straight down the pipe a good amount would still get to the exhaust from the generator.  The worry is when the generator is not running but the extension is installed.

On 8/18/2022 at 6:43 AM, jmansur said:

jmansur --

To give you strong assurance that a Camco brand generator exhaust stack will not cause any safety problems for you, at LSU football weekends, LSU Safety and Security requires the use of a generator exhaust stack in all RV lots to route generator exhaust at least to the roof line of each RV.   LSU has the exhaust stack requirement to protect the many fans in RV lots from carbon monoxide exposure at ground level.    Most of the RV owners at LSU weekends use the Camco generator exhaust stack.   I have used my Camco exhaust stack for decade - first for the two Honda 2000 watt generators used with the travel trailer I owned a decade ago and then for my previous coach and now for my current coach.   

On hot LSU football weekends in September and October the RV generators run 24/7 with no incidents of generator exhaust entering an RV causing problems.   Rest assured operating your generator with an exhaust stack will not cause a safety problem for you and your family. 

To address your concern about rain getting into the Camco exhaust stack, in Baton Rouge heavy rain is inevitable at some point each football season.  During the last ten years heavy rain has fallen on my RV while the generator is running with zero problems.   As others have stated, the bottom of the Camco stack is open ended and include a venturi design to pull air into the bottom of the stack to mix with and help cool the generator exhaust and dilute CO2 / CO in the exhaust before the mix exits from the top of the stack.   If for some reason you had a Camco stack attached to your generator, and the generator was not running, and heavy rain was forecast and you are away from your RV, you could easily cover the metal exhaust pipe at the bottom of the stack with Handi-wrap or duct tape. 

Edited by fagnaml