schoonmakerjon

Assessing Big Rig Campgrounds

All,

How are folks with Class A RVs making the determination about an appropriate Big Rig friendly campground?  We are traveling in a Class A, 45ft convert entertainer coach, and I always search the Big Rig friendly sites, using the FMCA road atlas as the starting point.   Once a I have a few identified campground possibilities, I'll review there websites and call to verify both date availability, site location and maneuverability throughout the camp.  Mostly my phone inquires yield a general response, "we've had 45ft units here with no problems".   

When I arrive I'm still finding challenging maneuverability, sometimes needing an open campsite to be able to get the coach situated.  This can be challenging, so any added approach, inquiry method and information for identifying a truly Big Rig compatible/friendly RV campground will be greatly appreciated.   Thank you for your help.   ---  Jon 

I also use RV Parky and check the individual ratings. I can usually find a few that have bigger coaches and found the, fairly accurate. I have found that campgrounds that advertise “big Rig Friendly” don’t necessarily have long or large sites. When I do call a campground, I make sure they know the length, number of slides and what I am towing.

On 8/5/2022 at 1:10 PM, wayne77590 said:

Try this link: Big Rigs RV

Wayne,

I appreciate the pointer and will avail myself to this site and the related directory.   I expect it will be helpful.   Thank you for taking the time.

Safe travels.     Regards,   Jon

Campcop,

Again, I appreciate the pointer to RV Parky, I've the app and have occasionally chased up the listing to verify the big rig compatible information.  I will now use it and other social media available information, e.g. trip advisor, Goggle reviews etc., for added validation.   Thank you for taking the time and safe travels.

----   Jon

23 hours ago, rayin said:

Another resource is https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/ (formerly rvparkreviews.com)  There you may read other RVers reviews of hundreds of RV parks and CG's.

agreed, this site has lots of good information on the campgrounds.

iv also heard of people using Google earth to look over a campground to see if the sites and roads are big rig friendly.

Yes, I always use Google Satellite view to look campgrounds over. I'm only 43 feet but one never knows.  Also, on Google Satllite or Map, one can right click and choose "measure" and see how long a site is, and how wide.

All,   This is quite helpful information and I will avail myself to these additional social media resources.  The goggle earth/satellite view and measure is particularly useful to take the uncertainty out of showing up at these campgrounds and trying to sort it out, "on the spot".   thank you again for everyone's comments and insights.

---   Jon

I echo the comments on using Google Earth Pro to view RV parks / resorts for BOTH spacing and quality.    I also like the Google Earth Pro "search" capability to find RV parks/resorts near a city/location where the wife and I have never ventured before.