Sign in to follow this  
wayne5700

Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Drive

Question

I have seen quite a few comments about the 12'8" tunnel on Skyline Drive and whether it would be safe to pass with an RV over 12 feet tall.  I am 12'2" and just did it and it was not a problem. I thought my 13' CB antenna might be close but it was not a problem. But that's the real problem. It was knocked off by low hanging trees along both the Blue Ridge and Skyline Drive. There were at least ten to fifteen places on either parkway where the limbs were down to 10 1/2 to 11 feet. It damaged my TV antenna and beat the coach roof from one end to the other - primarily on the right side but some hit the left as well. I would warn all tall RV's to consider another route. I notified the rangers but they seemed surprised. I recommend that anyone using these routes keep the forum updated on conditions.

2 answers to this question

A13 foot CB antenna is a pretty tall CB antenna, a quarter wave is only 102" or do you mean that it is mounted so that the top of the antenna is 13' from the ground? Sorry about the low limbs caused so much damage.