mjkfmca

Winter travel

Question

Can anyone tell me from experience what the weather would be like traveling from Myrtle Beach to San Antonio in January? Hope to avoid snow and freezing temps. 
Thank you 

7 answers to this question

Drop down to I-10 through Atlanta or J'ville. You shouldn't hit any snow but temps canbe chilly.

San Antonio is a Winter Texan retreat but temps in SA can get cold. Occasional dusting of snow.

N. Texas is anybodys guess in winter. I've been through N.Texas when there was bright sunshine and calm weather; then another year is was near freezing, windy and snowing.

I suggest you find a local TV station along your route in Texas on your computer/cell phone for daily/weekly forecasts just before you hit the road each day. Live radar usually shows a general route of bad weather coming.

As to the rest of your trip, the further South you stay the better, well-unless a hurricane is in the Gulf.

Edited by rayin

Ray, I would call it more South Texas. Well unless you are in Corpus.😊😉

mjkfmca, Who knows What the weather  will be. I would watch the forecast to the west starting a week or so before you plan on leaving. 

Bill

Went that route one year and had seven inches of snow in El Paso. You just need to keep weather apps on your phone and check for conditions ahead. You may have to layover a day somewhere along the route. Just stay safe. 

From The Beach to SA you should not hit snow on I-10.

El Paso is 550 miles West of SA and yes they get snow there.

Border to border on I-10 is 880 miles. About 3 or 4 state drive for Nor-Easter's.

On 8/28/2022 at 4:24 PM, mjkfmca said:

Can anyone tell me from experience what the weather would be like traveling from Myrtle Beach to San Antonio in January? Hope to avoid snow and freezing temps. 
Thank you 

Thanks to all for the info.