bmccormack

Inverter issues

Hello all, 

i have a 04 discovery with a Xantrex 458 inverter. my house batteries will not charge while plugged in but they do charge while the engine is running.

my inverter trips the 25 amp surge protector regardless if i am on shore power or gen power.

my batteries are new and work  fine and charge fine, they just eventually go down when im plugged into shore power.

when i press the surge protector in button in there is a very loud humming noise which i assume is the transfer switch under the bed in the coach.

I am guessing the problem is either the inverter is bad ro the transfer switch is bad, any advice on where to start?

Thanks

Since you have blocked your location in your profile, I can not tell where to get your inverter repaired. But you call Xantrex and get a Return Material Authorization number RMA. If you are near the state of Washington, I am told there is a location to ship it to or drop off. If near Elkhart, Indiana there is a location there, also. But absolutely no walk in or shipped to without the RMA number. 

Ok I have a little more info. I remove the positive and negative cables and the overload bottom doesn’t trip. I measured output with no cables and it’s 14.5 volts. However, when I try to hook the cables up there is a dead short and a loud humming and then the breaker trips. all my batteries are new, it was doing this before i replaced all of them.

Is this the battery cables to the inverter, or just the main battery cables to the chassis?

FWIW,  the Xantrex website has a list of authorized repair shops nationwide. They are usually found near large bodies of water because they are commonly used on boats.

I agree with Ross, it's likely a dead short somewhere.