okokray

escape ladder

16 hours ago, okokray said:

Best fire escape ladder

One that works (tongue in cheek)

Assuming you are talking about a motorhome/RV.

Where would you store it. Not in the bay I hope. Close by and then remember where it is and remember to get it.In my case probably right next to the fire extinguisher. (Now where did I put that, hmm?

Flames or smoke, I'm bustin' open the fire escape window, throwing the bed spread over the sill, tossing the wife out, them gently climbing out, hanging down and drop.
Yep, in my octogenarian age I'll probably break something but I hopefully will not be burned,

More importantly does your emergency window open? At a rally after a seminar on fire safety several people tried to open theirs and couldn't get them open. 

I have seen roll up ladders that were for that use. 

I also wonder if you could retro fit a escape door like Newmar has, with the built in ladder?

Bill

Hello! Welcome to the FMCA discussion forums.

Sadly Mac the Fire Guy is no longer with us, but 2 of his video tutorials remain. .( Mac McCoy #48271)

How to escape your RV in a fire

Updated RV Safety

FMCA has another Fire Safety video.

I can't remember the brand, but I think this is the type escape ladder he recommended for  both MH's and towables.

In addition, FMCA has a large video library for the convenience of members.

EDIT: Morryde company made that  ladder Mac used in his video, but is no longer made..

Edited by rayin

One problem will be if your coach has rolled on it's right side, the escape window is now 8' above your head.  The problem might be actually getting to the window.  On my Eagle, if the coach is on it's right side, the king size bed is also on it's right side, and approximately under the window.

I'm Scr#%@d.

I was envisioning sitting in the MH upright.

If it is laying on the right side I'll just have to wait for the fire department or try breaking the windshield or driver's window. Most likely not going to happen.

Edited by wayne77590

Wayne get one of those glass hammers like Mac talked about; smack the windshield t shatter it, kick out the remains and walk out. If a MH is on its side, the windshield may already be broken out. Further MH damage is the least of my concerns when escape is a must.