timnjulie

Motorhome Refrigerator doesn’t work when on propane

Motorhome Refrigerator doesn’t work when on propane , it’s set on auto. Works fine when plugged in. Propane tank is full. Propane switch is on. Had camping world look at it and they couldn’t find anything wrong but only checked it when plugged in. Any suggestions as to why is won’t work on propane? Thank you!

Edited by timnjulie
Misspelling

I have not had the burner serviced. I wasn’t sure at the time if it wasn’t working on electric or propane and told them to look at it assuming they would check both but they only checked when plugged in and said everything was working fine. 

What is the brand and model of your refrigerator? Without that information anything suggested is just an EWAG.

Have you changed altitude?  Our refrigerator stopped working when we went from sea level to 5,000+ feet. As altitude increases the gas to air mixture changes, too much gas and not enough air (oxygen) for combustion. The reverse is true for going from high altitude to low altitude. The solution is a simple adjustment of the air inlet at the burner tube. Adjust until the flame is blue. 

You have probably done this,  but when this happens to me I light a burner on the stove to be sure propane is being distributed in the line.  After that burner lights, I check the frig on propane and it's fine.  One time, even this did not work.  I then checked the propane tank to be sure it was turned on.  It wasn't.  Duh!!

Edited by akadeadeye

I'm guessing you have resolved this problem but i'm new to the group (today) and  had a similar problem last year. (bought my first motorhome rv/Roadtrek)

Turns out on some refrigerators they will not work, especially on propane when not level.  The flame does not hit a sensor properly so will not activate & chill.

There are a few good videos on youtube regarding refrigerators.

7 hours ago, bweaver48 said:

I'm guessing you have resolved this problem but i'm new to the group (today) and  had a similar problem last year. (bought my first motorhome rv/Roadtrek)

Turns out on some refrigerators they will not work, especially on propane when not level.  The flame does not hit a sensor properly so will not activate & chill.

You are right. Welcome to the forum.

Bill

On 6/20/2023 at 2:30 PM, bweaver48 said:

Norcold and Dometic absorption refrigerators must be near-level to operate. They both say if you are comfortable living in the RV their unit is likely level enough. Norcold's actual limits are 6° front-to-back, 3°side-to-side. Outside those limits the cooling unit is slowly and accumulatively  being damaged, and if continued, will eventually fail.

This has nothing to do with a sensor, it is the gravity flow of the heat transfer solution that is blocked when out of level.. This gives you an idea of how it works.

Dometic Refrigerator Won't Get Cold Enough - The Dometic Guy