hayesfamily

Motorcoach I want versus the what wife to be wants

Folks, I’m in a real pickle. I thought my issue was going to be finding a Coach that did not have a lien against it that was gonna be easy to transfer, but my situation has gotten worse. 

Decided to jump the broom again and she’s a newbie. The coach that I really want I cannot get a floor plan that will work for two people living in it full-time so I kind of have to go off the beaten path and get something that will work full-time until we buy a house in a few years. Because of that  I’m having to have an open mind to getting something different than what I’m used to. 

In my infinite wisdom, I allowed her to pick coaches with me and she picked a Coach that has a basement air conditioning unit. I’ve never owned one before, and I am just curious, are they worth the hype. My major concern is maintenance and cooling ability. From what I understand it’s one unit not to separate ones and the coach is 40 feet long. What say ye? 

Edited by hayesfamily
Punctuation

We had a 2008 Winnebago Destination with a basement air.  Unfortunately the motorhome was totaled by hurricane Harvey in 2017.

In the 9 years we owned it we never had a bit of problem with the basement air.  I do understand others have had problems.  The basement air is a two stage system.

In excessively high heat (above 90) it struggled somewhat to maintain a comfortable feeling.  One thing I did after that was to line all the walls inside with an outside surface with the aluminum bubble insulation. All closets, cabinets, etc.  That did reduce the inside heat to a more comfortable feeling.

The biggest downside is that if something goes wrong with it the whole system is down and a pain to work on.

And 90° weather my rooftops struggle a bit too. Thank you so I just try to keep it at a modest temperature. This is good information. Thank you.

I would not hesitate to purchase a MH with a basement A/C again. Yes, new replacement units are still available.

Our MH is in my signature, we've owned it since 2013. Our Colman-Mach 24,000btu heat pump has performed flawlessly since purchase. I suppose since our MH is white makes a difference. We've never had a problem with cooling, in any heat range.

IMO what makes the most difference is replacing the household-type air filter(I immediately threw the green mesh away) frequently, otherwise dirt, animal hair, etc. pass through and mat-over the evaporator coil. That severely limits capacity and effectiveness.

Also, with the basement air, it is important to keep the filter clean and a periodic cleaning of the coils of road grime and stuff.

So to bring in conclusion to this post, we ended up getting a Discovery with the rooftop air conditioning and two heat pumps as well. I wasn’t afraid of the basement air. I was more afraid of the support. The discovery seems to have an overwhelming amount of support and I think that was more important for me. Andy and she liked the discovery over the sport Coach for space, and both of us liked the discovery over the meridian. Although the meridian drove like a dream, the layout just was not what we were looking for.

5AA3A2B0-359B-4220-AE49-E9AD2870FC8A.jpeg

Congratulations to you both!  I think you made a wise decision. If the floorplan is not to your desires now, it will never get better in the future.

10 hours ago, hayesfamily said:

I wish.  

LOL it haven't been that warm hear for the last few days. They are forecasting possible snow flurries tonight. Well at least it isn't Buffalo.

Bill