gerryben

Towing a 2022 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk behind RV

Just purchased a 2022 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk that I will tow behind my 40 ft Tiffin Phaeton.  Has anyone had any issues with towing. I tried putting the car in tow mode and it makes a grinding noise.  Also how do you use your brake buddy since there is no power when you are in the tow mode.  I went to the Jeep dealer and they said the grinding noise is normal but I did not have this grinding noise in my 2014 Jeep Cherokee.

I would appreciate any info you could share.

Thank you.

Ben Hodgers

eal40369@aol.com

IMO any grinding noise is NOT normal. Is your Jeep equipped with a manual transfer case shifter or electric? DW used to have an old 1997 Jeep GC we towed, and the automatic transmission had to be in neutral  to manually shift the transfer case to neutral/tow position or the gears would grind. Her 2017 has electronic transfer case shifting, it's never made a noise-yet. It has a pin-hole to shift into neutral that accepts a ball-point pen.

Edited by rayin

Welcome to the forum Ben. 

I can't imagine a case where grinding noises from a transmission was a good thing or ok. I hope it hasn't done any permanent damage.

For power to the brake buddy you can run a auxiliary power line from the battery or even from the coach. 

Let us know what you find out about the grinding.

Bill

We own 2017 Jeep Trailhawk, we had to install a diode circuit to the power steering assist (to avoid dead battery) and the 4x4 transfer case has a special sequence to enable flat towing. The MOPAR owners manual was horrible, please see the attached U-Tube, this guy makes the process simple. Once I have a vehicle set for flat tow, I "pull" the vehicle forward 4-6" to verify neutral tow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZTUo9z9sk

On 10/9/2022 at 11:16 AM, casuall454 said:

We own 2017 Jeep Trailhawk, we had to install a diode circuit to the power steering assist (to avoid dead battery) and the 4x4 transfer case has a special sequence to enable flat towing. The MOPAR owners manual was horrible, please see the attached U-Tube, this guy makes the process simple. Once I have a vehicle set for flat tow, I "pull" the vehicle forward 4-6" to verify neutral tow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZTUo9z9sk

I just bought a 22 Trailhawk as well, like he says if you follow the sequence noted in the manual step by step you should not hear any grinding.  20 step to prep to tow and 16 to remove from tow mode so it is a bit special.  I too set up a 12V line from my coach thru a CB to charge for the Jack Brake use which worked great. Far better than a tow dolly, I damaged my struts using a tow dolly on my 09 Corolla. 

I have a 2021 Cherokee Trailhawk. The diode kit with the switch IS NOT REQUIRED. I've towed mine about 15,000 miles with no problems.  I believe jeep fixed this issue in 2019. I installed a Roadmaster baseplate and tail light wire kit, which just plugs into the tail light wiring. It also required a relay kit for the brake lights so the turn indicator work with the brake pedal depressed. You have to be vary carefull installing this kit as you need to cut into the factory brake switch wires. Unknown to me I nicked a wire. It cost $750 to have jeep find and fix it.

Edited by vietvet72