timnjulie

Generator won’t turnover

2005 class A Damon Astoria motorhome with 7500 watt Generac generator. Was using generator when traveling on road, used  it for microwave and no problems. After shutting it off, tried using it again and won’t turnover. Later I heard clicking noises near fuse box or converter, not sure where. I reset breaker on generator even though it didn’t trip to see it would work but no change. I have a converter, I don’t have an inverter. Not sure if the fuse is blown, I will check. Any other ideas? 

Tim 

Edited by timnjulie
Addition

I have had similar experiences with my 2012 Astoria.  I found that the circuit breaker on the generator itself had tripped. It's on the face of the generator. Make sure it is in the on position.  Also make sure the coach batteries switch is turned on and didn't accidentally get turned off.   On my coach, that switch is located on the panel between the passenger seat and the coach door.

First thing I would check is the ground. What is the voltage of the batteries that start it?  Have you tried to start it with the main engine running?

Bill

Thanks WildBill! Sorry I stepped away for a few days. The voltage was at 12.7. I have tried with engine running, no difference. Checked all fluids, breakers. I will check ground connection. Another problem I have is no one wants to work on these Generac Motorhome Generators. I have a Generac dealer 2 miles from my house and they say that they stopped making the motorhome generator and don’t service them. 

What about a small engine repair place? I would check the starter relay or the starter solenoid. 

I would think the circuit breakers on the generator have more to do with power output than starting power.

Bill

I assume you are not on shore power when attempting to start the genset. That eliminates the converter from the issue. Now it's down to testing to insure battery cable connections are clean and tight. Begin at the battery bank, removing, cleaning, reinstalling each connection at battery bank, then trace the cables to the genset starter solenoid doing the same cleaning/reinstalling thing..

Pay attention to the ground cables, over 80% of all 12V issues are the result of a poor/missing ground, which is half of a 12V circuit.

If you see 12V at the solenoid(large terminal) from the battery, test for a 12V signal from the genset start button at the solenoid ( a small terminal). No start signal, test switch.

BTW, most circuit breakers must be pushed hard to off to reset the breaker, you will feel the spring resistance, then to on. But that has nothing to do with genset engine not turning over.

Edited by rayin