I have read so many reviews about roadside assistance it seems to be a waste of money.
If you get a flat you still have to buy a tire so if someone comes out you get what from roadside assistance?
If your motorhome engine or transmission has a problem is where it seems to be touchy about what they will do.
Most of us big motorhomes will have to be towed with large tow trucks cause large flatbeds aren't that many around the USA.
So the policy says they tow you to the nearest service provider.
I have read many providers they tow you to can't do any repairs then you are stuck there in someone's parking lot who can't help you.
When you call back, they tell you that you cannot be towed to any other place else because they did their part as per the policy.
So now you have to find on your own dollar aa tow truck to take you to a qualified and able to help mechanic and not a gas station mechanic.
Ford Dealer, Freightline chassis service center or someone who can do the work.
So now you spend $500 more to get towed and the policy will not reimburse you.
So why not save your money and fly on your own and pay on your own?

It just seems they are all a big scam to not give you what you pair for.
I know some here will say read your policies fine print...
I'm willing to pay for a tow to a dealership who can do the work with no limits on miles, but that policy doesn't exist in FMCA, GS or any other company that sells insurance policies.

So, lets here from all who think these policies are worth your hard-earned money.
I don't want to hear from the ones who had 1 instance but want to hear from all who have the horror stories to tell and agree what I say above.

So you only want to hear from those who agree with you? Then why ask the question in the first place? Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it.

2 hours ago, ianbullock said:

So you only want to hear from those who agree with you? Then why ask the question in the first place? Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it.

That's exactly how I took that last statement too.  I don't get it either.

Don

It depends on who you talk to. Me personally, if I have a breakdown, I want somebody coming out to me within 45 minutes to an hour not seven hours later so I prefer not to have roadside assistance and rip out cash on my credit card. Everybody is not in that boat, some people can only afford to pay roadside assistance and then have to wait for them to come out, but that doesn’t necessarily make them wrong. It’s just personal opinion and preference. Is it a waste of money, no, are there other options absolutely!

Ask questions  

How long for tow 

Contact info for tow company

Contact info for repair shop you are being sent    then call them to confirm they can handle your repair  and timeline 

Make written notes for all conversations with date and time 

No-one is going to twist your arm to purchase an emergency roadside assistance contract. It's solely your decision. I don't understand your misery loves company outlook.

Buying an emergency roadside assistance contract is like buying a personal health insurance policy in that who you buy from and plan contents vary widely, and how much risk you are willing to assume.

For instance, I've used my Good Sam ERS policy 2 times during this pandemic.  For the two years the premium total was #360, the total expenses GS paid out was just under $3,000 for both wrecker services required. The first tow required two wreckers, a small one to tow our MH out of the CG, then a tandem axle wrecker to tow it 60 miles to Cummins Great Plains. Yes it was a long wait, the only wrecker service that was large enough to do the job was another 40 miles in the opposite direction of Cummins Great Plains. 

Edited by rayin

You don't need ERS....until you need ERS.  If you shop around you can get it for about $80 year.  If you ever have to have your bus towed....whatever the ERS costs, will be paid back in spades.  GS currently has a sale, I just renewed for about $254, including tax, for three years.

Thank you for asking. Your query is right to ask. i had an experience summer of 2022 that will help. Roadside Assistance was needed twice during my 11000 mile trip. First time was Sunday in Des Monies, Iowa. My call  for assistance went unheeded, my second call to report no one has shown, went something like this, Sorry, it is Sunday and some employee don't show let me call a second vendor. Spending all day in Hardee's parking lot with no service showing I had an RV Roadside Service get my RV going at the tune of Two Hundred Ninety Dollars. Time spent waiting for help was 8 a.m. to 5 P.M. September 18, my wife's birthday. We were to have cake and ice cream with my brother had we not been delayed.

My second experience was a few weeks later in Independence Missouri. My Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk during Death Wobble had broken the tow bar and jeep nose. It was now being towed by dolly. I failed to properly latch the Jeep and it came over the dolly to rest on the tongue. I called Roadside Assistance. Once again no show. I waited the proposed time limit of 180 minutes then called Road Side Assistance reporting no one showed. A second vendor was called. I jacked the motorhome loose. Drove to Harbor Freight for a better Jack, then to Home Deport where a kind employee cut a 4x4 in to short blocks. After blocking and jacking the Jeep was once again ready for travel.

I hope my experience helps guide you. In my many years of travel I needed help three times and never had a positive experience. 

2 hours ago, elibedarn said:

Thank you for asking. Your query is right to ask. i had an experience summer of 2022 that will help. Roadside Assistance was needed twice during my 11000 mile trip. First time was Sunday in Des Monies, Iowa. My call  for assistance went unheeded, my second call to report no one has shown, went something like this, Sorry, it is Sunday and some employee don't show let me call a second vendor. Spending all day in Hardee's parking lot with no service showing I had an RV Roadside Service get my RV going at the tune of Two Hundred Ninety Dollars. Time spent waiting for help was 8 a.m. to 5 P.M. September 18, my wife's birthday. We were to have cake and ice cream with my brother had we not been delayed.

My second experience was a few weeks later in Independence Missouri. My Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk during Death Wobble had broken the tow bar and jeep nose. It was now being towed by dolly. I failed to properly latch the Jeep and it came over the dolly to rest on the tongue. I called Roadside Assistance. Once again no show. I waited the proposed time limit of 180 minutes then called Road Side Assistance reporting no one showed. A second vendor was called. I jacked the motorhome loose. Drove to Harbor Freight for a better Jack, then to Home Deport where a kind employee cut a 4x4 in to short blocks. After blocking and jacking the Jeep was once again ready for travel.

I hope my experience helps guide you. In my many years of travel I needed help three times and never had a positive experience. 

I am sorry you had bad experiences.. I might offer a tip for next time you have any issue. When  you call, ask to speak with a supervisor. The regular operators are only allowed to ask the questions on their computer screen and give replies as shown on the screen. This seems to be the same operating practice for all ERS services.

Thankfully and knock on wood, I’ve had only one occasion to use roadside assistance. Halfway across the country in a small campground in the middle of nowhere the new pickup  truck we were towing had a dead battery. I called CoachNet and within 30 minutes my truck was jump started by responding mechanic. So my experience is limited but satisfied so far.

Another Vote for CoachNet

2007 DQ 360XL FreightLiner M2, Cummins ISC 8.3L

Adventure 1.   Lost all coolant in Far West Texas. (Mile Marker 119 on I-10 between Van Horn and Sierra Blanca).
Called Coach Net, phone was answered immediately, by someone I could understand. First thing they asked was if I was safe, then proceeded with figuring out how to help. Within 4 hours had a Big Rig tow vehicle arrive from El Paso. During the waiting period  I received multiple calls from the Coach Net representative checking to see if I was still OK and updating me on the status of the tow truck. The tow truck driver was awesome, did a very professional job of hooking up my rig. By the way, to tow one of these beasts they have to disconnect the driveshaft, $$$.  CoachNet not only had us towed 90 miles to El Paso, but arranged repair services, and offered to make arrangements for overnight stay.

Adventure 2.   Sensor failure near Deming NM. CoachNet technical adviser located repair part in Tucson AZ (a mere 220 mile jaunt), grudgingly approved jury-rig fix, and arranged for installation of sensor in Tucson.

Adventure 3.  More Sensor Failure near Wikieup, AZ. (Look it up, it's close to Nothing, AZ). CoachNet arranged tow back to Kingman, AZ (60 miles) and repairs made by a Service Center that does not work on RV's over 10 year old.

During all three of these "Adventures", DW and I felt that the personnel at CoachNet were doing everything possible without actually being with us and holding our hands.

These "Adventures" occurred within the last 6 months, within the last 3,000 miles of travel, and after a recently completed, two week long, 50,000 mile maintenance checkup (current mileage, 54673) at a Cummins Service Center that cost nearly $4,000 (But that's another story)

When you buy the cheapest, it is guaranteed you will get the cheapest -- when you buy the best, sometimes you will get the best

I've had CoachNet every year except the year I got cheap and went with Good Sam.  Fortunately, I've only needed assistance 4 times in the past 15 years, 3 times with CoachNet and once with Good Sams. The 3 times with CoachNet were above and beyond and the one time with Good Sams wasn't a good situation. I waited 4 hours for Good Sams to send someone to jump start my motorhome, after 4 hours they called backed and said no service companies were available with cables heavy enough to jumpstart my motorhome. Drove 10 miles to a NAPA store in Fredericksburg, bought jumper cables and was back on the road in less than 30 minutes. I just renewed my CoachNet last month.