f457930

2015 650 HP Cummins ISX engine

I am looking at a coach with this engine.  Have heard of problems with it.  Any input about it would be appreciated.

650 HP

Dee

Cummins only made that engine for a couple of years. They had issues from day one and stopped making it all together. Myself, I would run the other way as fast as I could.

Herman

Edited by hermanmullins

I am with Herman. There are to many people reporting engine failure for me. Do some searches on IRV2 https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/ 

I have heard it is a problem with the head dropping valve seats then breaking the valve and destroying the piston. 

But if having $30,000-$40,000 in repair cost isn't a problem for you.

Bill 

8 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Cummins only made that engine for a couple of years. They had issues from day one and stopped making it all together. Myself, I would run the other way as fast as could,

Herman

Right! There;'s a guy on irv2.com who has this engine in his MH. Last  I read of his trials and tribulations, he was out-of-pocket $34,000 for 2 engine rebuilds, even after Cummins paid $10,000 on the first rebuild. The 650 HP version was only available in the MH version.  The man explained in detail what happened to his ISX, both times.

Even on the trucking forums, there are posts detailing semi-tractor ISX failures during the early models.

Now the ISX engine MH version is limited to 600 HP I think. Cummins supposedly found the cause of the failures and made corrections.

Edited by rayin

Thanks for the input.  About what I expected from the research I have done.  I was hoping for the one guy with a positive reply.  Maybe a fix for the problem from 
Cummins.  I really like the coach  but will most likely heed the advice given here.  As for the big engine I thought I might have some drag racing opportunities and being a child of the sixties I wanted the biggest engine.  

Thanks

Dee

On 10/13/2022 at 9:33 PM, f457930 said:

Thanks for the input.  About what I expected from the research I have done.  I was hoping for the one guy with a positive reply.  Maybe a fix for the problem from 
Cummins.  I really like the coach  but will most likely heed the advice given here.  As for the big engine I thought I might have some drag racing opportunities and being a child of the sixties I wanted the biggest engine.  

Thanks

Dee

Cummins does have a "fix" for the ISX, the guy on irv2.com outlined it in one of his posts about 3 years ago. The fix was part of the $34K he spent for rebuilds. All I remember is it involved a new head design, can't remember the rest.