bestred1

Trimark door lock issues? Short term Fix

If you have a Trimark door lock on your motorhome with a few years on it like me, you've probably been locked out at least once. Fortunately my first experience like this was in a location where I could get to a ladder to climb in thru an unlocked window and open the door from the inside. No fun at all!

The issue? With wear, the outside handle assembly gets some slop in the pin that holds the actuator tab. When you pull on the outside handle, this tab can then slip under the interfacing part that opens the latch. What's really aggravating is that this can occur intermittently since the tab can slide back into position when you open the door from the inside. This gives you the appearance that all is well until it happens again.

Short term fix? I cut out a small piece of metal and used JB weld epoxy to attach it to the top of the tab (see photos). This makes the tab thicker so it can't slip out from under the inside latch mechanism. How long will this last? Who knows but it will keep me from climbing in thru the window until I can get the replacement part.

Long term fix? Replace the outside handle assembly but you'll need to determine which one you need since they make numerous versions. This will require you to disassemble the entire mechanism since the part number is hidden from view. Since this comes with new keys, you'll have to decide what to do with that. A local locksmith can re-key them if you choose. Here's a video on where to find the part number and a source for replacement parts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F18N1r8zT8s

You can also reach out to Trimark for help but their website doesn't seem to have any way to directly order parts. I've known some folks that wound up calling them and got excellent support.  https://www.trimarkcorp.com/

Inside.jpg

Outside.jpg

tab-1_marked.jpg

tab-2_marked.jpg

I've had excellent service from Trimark.  They will help you if you need it, or it's easy to order parts...key fobs, etc.