bestred1

Do Automatic Transfer Switches hum continuously?

Simple question to those of you that have an Automatic Transfer Switch in your coach: Do they hum continuously while powered?

My coach is old school, no ATS. I've bought one but have yet to install it. Have had 2nd thoughts as I've read numerous posts here and in other forums I follow, regarding reliability. In some cases people have reported annoying noise. Mine will be installed almost directly below where I lay my head at night and I'm a lite sleeper.

With weather being nice right now, I may install it next week so this is my last concern.

ATS_41260.jpg

If a switch hums it is likely due to  burned or ill-fitting contacts. Any contacts/mating conductors must have a clean solid contact to eliminate as much resistance as possible.

That is why you see the caution on RVing forums not to switch power sources when high-amperage appliances are running. That higher current burns contacts.

I’ve seen that model in action, no humming. I have heard certain models can be pronounced while others are quiet. As mentioned a fatigued unit can also be a contributing factor.

If mounted in the basement you should be good on the noises if any are observed.

Transfer switches (relays) hum when the armature and the iron core don't make full contact when in the closed position. Has nothing to do with the contacts. As far as reliability, they offer little problem. My 95 Bounder still has the OEM auto transfer switch.

Automotive Relay Guide | 12 Volt Planet

Richard

Edited by rls7201